Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are looking at an upgrade (from a Corolla) since our kids are growing and I want to start taking the kids on more adventures. I'm a little torn on Hybrid vs 8 Speed both XLE models for the all-wheel-drive option.

Little more info of me and the wife. We have never driven or owned a CVT vehicle. We both grew up on Manual transmissions so we enjoy the punch of low gear and getting out of situations when they arise. So we're looking for that kind of umph in our SUV but I am looking for that best towing option as well. I grew up going to Galamis and the river at least once a month but going to the mountains as well for camping. With our jobs and life changes, I stepped away from it. However, I've been itching to start showing my kids some of those life adventures and looking for features in our SUV to try and cover what we're/I am looking for.

I'm 6'4 and between the SUV's with seating for 6/7 comfortably, I've landed on the highlander as a viable solution for the family.

Looking between lightly used or new(2017/2018/2019/2020) Model.

Questions are:

1. CVT vs 8 Speed, I get the 3500/5000lbs difference in towing. I get the MPG difference but how is the over all power on both? If I had to punch it, what one will I get the best power out of when I need it?

2. For the Boat Owners, Does it get the grip for getting boats out of the water?

3. How is the maintenance cost for both transmissions for the highlander?

4. What have you found to be a failure of the power systems vs what you grown to live with vs outstanding and better than any other power system?

5. The wife and I never have relied on cameras or sensors to do our driving, I park backwards in most spots and always understand the 4 corners of my car before I feel safe. So how reliable is electrical in the highlander? I've read it can cause driving issues so if I had to get out of a situation, will the family and I be OK? Is there ways to shut off sensors? Upgrade the Software to help driving rather then think it's a smarter driver than the one behind the wheel?

6. How grunt worthy is the Highlander to you? Does it allow you to task with the family when you need it?

Thanks for your time guys and gals. Look forward to seeking your input.

Brad

·
8,391 Posts
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/63-highlander-hybrid/1544842-towing-highlander-hybrid.html

read and judge for yourself

Hybrids do not have CVT. yes, it is CALLED CVT but it is not. There are no belts, friction disks, rollers, or else, used in conventional CVT. So it does not "drone". Has no shifting points whatsoever, is super smooth in operation.

AWD is electric ONLY. You will have various opinions about that. We had reports of boat owners not being able to pull trailer out of the water on wet ramp. Or, go uphill on slippery winter slope. SSomething about traction control disabling power train.

If you want very reliable proven AWD that can tow, Tahoe is your choice.

Reverse is electric ONLY. Same situation. Various opinions. Personally, I don't like it.

Here's 8 speed automatic opinion:

·
8,391 Posts
I know, it will be pointed out that "hybrids have CVT listed" and so on, so here's my final response on that in Hybrid section:

I had this discussed beyond reason. Toyota called PSD a CVT for the purpose of Federal registration, to be able to sell Prius in the US.

Does it change gear ratios or not, shows here:

Always in Top Gear

We have discovered above how the Prius transmission uses an epicyclic gear, a generator and control electronics to adjust the spin rate of the engine without the use of either a step transmission or a conventional CVT. We also discovered that a fixed proportion (about 72%) of the ICE torque is sent mechanically to the wheels. Without the ability to change the gear ratio between the ICE and the wheels, we cannot multiply up the ICE torque to get high acceleration at low speed. Although we've solved the problem of letting the ICE spin at a suitable rate when the car is moving slowly, the torque coupling is equivalent to always being in top gear!

http://prius.ecrostech.com/original/PriusFrames.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Brad, we’ve had our 2017 HiHy for over a year now and extremely happy with it, ocassionally towing a 1500 lb popup camper with vehicle fully loaded with no trouble all, like the camper wasn’t even there. MPG is great, and it has wicked fast acceleration. I remember being shocked how fast it was first time entering the freeway. And I’ve gotten really fond of the cameras- and birds eye view- for backing down our curved driveway, and into parking spots. From what you say I think you’d be quite happy in one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
We LOVE IT! No problems at all other than auto headlights and daytime running lights quit working for a short time on a trip to from Houston to Orlando, FL. Had the local dealer at home look at it upon our return but found nothing wrong. No problems since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts