Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Anybody holding out for a possible plug in prime highlander?
They need to begin delivering the Hybrid model in volume first! :)

if I had to place a bet, I would say that it’s a pretty high probability given that a lot of the components are related. Exactly when, who knows.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anybody holding out for a possible plug in prime highlander?
I calculated if it's worth to have EV at this point in Canada and it's a negative. With Ontario electricity prices and added cost of plug-in cars currently on market, EVs will cost more than conventional car. Nothing will change in the future in terms of electricity price, it can only go higher. The only way for EVs to be economically feasible in Canada is to make their prices lower than conventional cars. I bet we won't see that in next 20 years. So there you have it.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
838 Posts

Toyota claims that the new 302-hp RAV4 Prime will go from 0 to 60 mph in just under 6 seconds. By comparison, our tested all-wheel-drive nonhybrid RAV4 took 8.3 seconds to go from 0 to 60 mph; the regular hybrid was half a second quicker. Fuel economy is 27 mpg overall for the standard model and 37 mpg for the hybrid—which is impressive for an AWD SUV.
-39 miles on electric
-Estimated 90 combined MPGe
-0-60 in 5.8 seconds
-10 year/ 150,000 warranty on hybrid system
-Available in XSE & SE Model Grades
-Available Summer 2020
-Optional Color (HUD) Heads Up Display
-Optional Autoleveling LED headlights
  • 4 Way POWER PASSENGER SEAT (Finally)
  • 5 Door Smart key system
-Birds Eye view Monitor
- Paddle Shifters
It seems inevitable that there will be a performance-oriented Highlander Hybrid Prime at some point. I'm wondering if this will happen sooner rather than later as the RAV4 Prime is launching only a year after the RAV4 Hybrid XSE which was positioned as the performance model. It seems that the modifications are in the more powerful electric motors and larger batteries.

There seems to be some space for a performance Highlander given what the 4th gen is currently targeted towards and with the 2020 hybrid sacrificing some power. Depending on when you buy a 2020 Highlander Hybrid, you might be looking at something like this coming out a little over year later.

The RAV4 Prime has a 35-40 mile EV range. Do you have to plug it in to get a full charge or can you just use it as a hybrid with more power, extended EV range, and never plug it in? Also, I'm not really understanding the available paddle shifters - doesn't it have a CVT?

·
Registered
163 Posts
It seems inevitable that there will be a performance-oriented Highlander Hybrid Prime at some point. I'm wondering if this will happen sooner rather than later as the RAV4 Prime is launching only a year after the RAV4 Hybrid XSE which was positioned as the performance model. It seems that the modifications are in the more powerful electric motors and larger batteries.
On Toyota event for management and sales it was asked about Highlander plug in and answer was yes, it's coming. My guess is it will come in about early 2022, not earlier. It's Toyota, it does everything painfully slowly. There is also a Hybrid Sienna coming and couple more plug in vehicles.

There seems to be some space for a performance Highlander given what the 4th gen is currently targeted towards and with the 2020 hybrid sacrificing some power. Depending on when you buy a 2020 Highlander Hybrid, you might be looking at something like this coming out a little over year later.
I agree. Hybrids have very weak motor groups aimed to assist internal combustion engine, not to drive the car alone. On the contrary plug in car definitely has more power - plug ins have to have more powerful electric motors by definition as they use them to actually accelerate and drive for prolong amount of time and normal speeds. Hence those more powerful electric motors can also accelerate car much faster - just a consequence of design, but a good one in this case. That's why RAV4 has more power and not because Toyota wanted to specifically make a performance version of RAV4. Their goal was to make plug in RAV4 and faster acceleration just came as a bonus due to inherent design of electric motors in plug in cars. And of course marketing department is going to use 0-60 numbers - that's just what they do.

The RAV4 Prime has a 35-40 mile EV range. Do you have to plug it in to get a full charge or can you just use it as a hybrid with more power, extended EV range, and never plug it in? Also, I'm not really understanding the available paddle shifters - doesn't it have a CVT?
When plug-in battery is almost depleted and there's about 2kWh left - it will switch to a Hybrid mode and continue to be used as a usual Hybrid. Basically just a software cutoff implemented. Nothing new. The only difference is that unlike usual Hybrid that can recoup charge up to that 2kWh only, plug-in car will be able to recharge battery beyond that 2kWh, probably all the way back to full - which will of course realistically never happen, but at least it will be able to physically put extra regenerated charge back to battery when available.
Paddle shifters are just giving you the "manual" mode with sequential 7 ratios (each one is like a gear - of course it's same eCVT, but just changing to specific ratios quickly emulating shifts) - basically goal is to make you control gear ratios quicker and to your liking. I just used 7, but they can make 8 "gears" or however many they will decide to stick to.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
838 Posts
So, we know that, in a year or two, there will probably be a Highlander Hybrid Prime plug-in that is significantly more powerful, will have a functional EV range, and will likely be performance packaged like the RAV4 Prime?

Where do I sign up? I’m looking at a 2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD in the next several months but if they were to announce a Hybrid Prime a year later, that’s when the envy and anticipation would definitely begin.

Toyota Revs Up Lineup with New 302-Horsepower RAV4 Prime

·
Registered
85 Posts
So, we know that, in a year or two, there will probably be a Highlander Hybrid Prime plug-in that is significantly more powerful, will have a functional EV range, and will likely be performance packaged like the RAV4 Prime?

Where do I sign up? I’m looking at a 2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD in the next several months but if they were to announce a Hybrid Prime a year later, that’s when the envy and anticipation would definitely begin.

Toyota Revs Up Lineup with New 302-Horsepower RAV4 Prime
Im am quite sure they already have a prime at the very least on the drawing board or maybe even a protoype or parts of it being tested in some research factory hidden away from prying eyes. In 2 yrs you going to want to trade your hybrid in. Thats how they get you to keep chasing the rabbit...lol

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
838 Posts
Here's hoping for a Highlander Prime PHEV sooner rather than later. Rather than buying a 2020 Highlander Hybrid, this Summer, I would be tempted to see if I could squeeze into the RAV4 Prime, instead. However, 2020 is going to be a big year for PHEVs so I'm going to be wondering whether an announcement for a Highlander Prime PHEV might be made before the end of the year.

The pundits have calculated that the RAV4 Prime PHEV will have at least a 16 kWh battery pack, qualifying it for the full $7,500 federal tax credit. Would the same apply to a Highlander PHEV? With 302 horsepower and 0 to 60 mph in an estimated 5.8 seconds, and a 39 mile EV range for the RAV4 version, doing something similar or the same to the Highlander would be nice.

Will the Toyota RAV4 Prime PHEV Become the “New Prius”?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts