Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started to look for a replacement for my '98 Expedition. It's got 102k miles and just too much maintenence for me to live with anymore. My search for a new, more fuel-efficiet SUV has made me look long and hard at the Highlander Hybrid.

Since I have literally NO experience with Highlanders, can you guys tell me what you think of the hybrid model? Are there certain features I "must" get? Others that are a waste?

And my big question...what are the major differences in the current model and the new 08? I'd love to find one that is a year old or just a model year behind for a good price...but I'd hate to be driving something that is going to look way out of date in just a few more months.

Thanks for all the input you can give me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
From my opinion, I'd like to change my 2001 with an hybrid because the fuel economy is the only dissapointment of my Highlander.

The main difference between the 07 and 08 is the look, and also the new Highlander is bigger in every point, so it means more interior space but also 500 lbs heavier !

If you don'T need the 3rd row seats, the 07 will be big enough, and the hybrid powertrain is the same with the new 08 model. If you choose the conventionnal gas only V6, the new 3.5 is a way ahead the old 3.3, but for the hybrid the 3.3 stays for 2008 together with the electric motor.

So my opinion:

for an hybrid, 2007 or 2008 makes no difference, it's just a question of taste !

for a gas engine only Highlander, the new one is better in every way, espscially the V6 is a way ahead the old 3.3. Unfortunately I don'T like the look....so I might prefer the new mazda CX9 !

·
Registered
90 Posts
seaman said:
From my opinion, I'd like to change my 2001 with an hybrid because the fuel economy is the only dissapointment of my Highlander.

The main difference between the 07 and 08 is the look, and also the new Highlander is bigger in every point, so it means more interior space but also 500 lbs heavier !

If you don'T need the 3rd row seats, the 07 will be big enough, and the hybrid powertrain is the same with the new 08 model. If you choose the conventionnal gas only V6, the new 3.5 is a way ahead the old 3.3, but for the hybrid the 3.3 stays for 2008 together with the electric motor.

So my opinion:

for an hybrid, 2007 or 2008 makes no difference, it's just a question of taste !

for a gas engine only Highlander, the new one is better in every way, espscially the V6 is a way ahead the old 3.3. Unfortunately I don'T like the look....so I might prefer the new mazda CX9 !
A hybid in Quebec in the winter will not give you the mileage you would expect from a hybrid. Most research proves that the hybrid option is very expensive in relation to the fuel mileage gains. Hybrids only perform well under optimum conditions.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
besides the lazy redesign of the 08, the 08 will probably make you happier. I would totally forget the hybrid if in 9 years you only drove your suv 100K miles then the hybrid will take over 10 years for it to pay off.

The 3.5L v6 will be mated to the current 5sp transmission instead of the newer (somewhat problematic) 6sp auto the current camry has. if you're new to toyota the highlander is a raised camry.

the 3.3L v6 in my 05 highlander with the 5sp auto is more than enough power. I would buy the 4wd version if you can afford it (after all it is an suv...).

A note i should make about the hybrid, i think its no good off road due to the electric motors not liking slippage or something. For the time being, forego the hybrid unless you plan on driving like 50K a year.

Test drive the current HL and the new HL and see what you like better. To me the thing handles quite well for an suv and all the standard safety features are a plus! (minus brake assist).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys.

I am thinking of a hybrid more for environmental concerns than monetary. The normal HL doesn't get BAD mileage when you compare to other SUVs, but I like to think that I'm somewhat doing my part :)

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
the battery of hybrid vehicles damages the environment when being produced and damages the environment upon disposal/recycling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well hell everything in the modern world damages the environment. however, the debate over whether or not hybrids are more environmentally friendly vehicles has long been settled.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
lol beats me.

i should mention the 08HL hybrid as an EV mode and an economy mode, which i suppose makes it pay for itself faster.

·
4,180 Posts
In Theory

johnnybt said:
I am thinking of a hybrid more for environmental concerns than monetary.
In theory a hybrid is more environmentally friendly. I think in actual world MPG the HL Hybrid is not much better than the 'normal' I4 or V6. I get around 22-24 mpg in our 2006 V6 (3.3L) AWD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also looking at a Highlander to replace a 98 EXP for the wifey. We are also looking at the pilot . It will all come down to cost. The Nissan's are just to "truck like" and boxey. But I live my truck ...

:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
NissanTitan said:
I am also looking at a Highlander to replace a 98 EXP for the wifey. We are also looking at the pilot . It will all come down to cost. The Nissan's are just to "truck like" and boxey. But I live my truck ...

:)
I don'T think that the present Pilot worth the money. It's due to change very soon, and will be much more exciting in it's new form. Just like the new Acura MDX....

·
Registered
88 Posts
seaman said:
I don'T think that the present Pilot worth the money. It's due to change very soon, and will be much more exciting in it's new form. Just like the new Acura MDX....
The Pilot redesign is over a year away. It'll be redesigned for the 2009 model year. The current model is already heavily discounted based on what I've read, though.

As someone else said, you'll probably get the best deal if you wait until the 2008 arrives, which I think is in July. THe Hybrid will follow in September.

CX-9 and Outlook/Acadia also worth a look.

You can compare prices, specs, and features on my site:

Vehicle price comparisons

1 - 15 of 15 Posts