Toyota Nation Forum banner

Highlander roof rack

13325 4
I have a 2003 Highlander V6. Great vehicle, anyone know how to remove the crossbars on the roof rack?
Thanks in advance
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Removing Crossbars

To remove the crossbars, just turn the 2 sets of bolts counterclockwise until totally loosened, I think. Then they should slide off. OR you could do as I did just today and rip them off, along with most of the rest of the rack system, by underestimating the height of the vehicle and attempting to enter an airport parking area with a LOW, stationary bar hovering above. I could cry. Now I am in search of a replacement rack (original made by Yakima) that won't break the bank. Best wishes. And avoid low clearance entries. This is not a sedan. :thankyou:

· Registered
4 Posts
Crossbar Removal

I just bought a 2006 Highlander, which came with the factory rack and crossbars. Because I wanted to install Thule crossbars and racks for multiple bicycles, I had the dealer remove the factory crossbars. They loosened the adjustment knobs, and slid the crossbars to the rear. There, they removed the plastic covers, which allowed the crossbars to be slid completely off the roof rack. They charged one hour of labor.

· Registered
3 Posts
godsthething said:
To remove the crossbars, just turn the 2 sets of bolts counterclockwise until totally loosened, I think. Then they should slide off. OR you could do as I did just today and rip them off, along with most of the rest of the rack system, by underestimating the height of the vehicle and attempting to enter an airport parking area with a LOW, stationary bar hovering above. I could cry. Now I am in search of a replacement rack (original made by Yakima) that won't break the bank. Best wishes. And avoid low clearance entries. This is not a sedan. :thankyou:
Argh...I never once thought about height while entering a garage until you said this. My 05 Highlander has a roof rack and it just doesn't seem that high to me. Now I will have to pay more attention. How high is a Highlander with a factory roof rack anyway? Thanks for sacrificing yourself so that the rest of us may learn. :eek:

· Registered
4 Posts
Highlander Roof Crossbar Removal

I had mine removed at the dealer; charge was one hour of labor. They had me come out to the garage to unlock my Thule crossbars, and I noticed the rear roof rack support was split apart. They had removed an inner plastic piece that has a very thin seam. When the inner plastic piece is removed, the end of the inner crossbar track is exposed. I assume it just pops off, but have not tried it since. There were no other pieces removed to my knowledge...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.