Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me just say that I love my 2014 Highlander and all my other Toyotas as well. Been a Toyota guy for most of the my life.

But, I cannot help but notice that lately it seems whenever crash tests change, Toyotas start to fail the "new" test and their engineers have to add things to the car to get it to pass, whereas other manufacturers like Honda and Subaru seem to have less issues.

On the new offset test for instance, it seems like the new Pilot outperforms the Highlander.

http://articles.sae.org/12819/

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...steel-has-very-specific-repair-dos-and-donts/

So what's going on here? Is Toyota cutting corners on safety and materials used?

·
Registered
453 Posts
They were both designed in different years would be my thought. The Highlander was shown in New York in April 2013 if I remember correctly so it has been around in its current form for at least 3 years. Not sure when the Pilot was first shown, but it has to be at least 2+ years newer. They had to do something after the abysmal test results of the previous gen.

·
Registered
Asheville
95 Posts
You can attribute this to the changing test criteria. If the vehicle was not designed to a later standard it is likely to fail that test. As an example the offset test criteria was only recently introduced. This criteria requires that the vehicle crash into an object at the side of the front instead of full front crash

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you compare the 2014 Honda Pilot to the 2014 Toyota Highlander the Highlander actually fares better:

2014 Honda Pilot "Poor"

2014 Toyota Highlander "Acceptible"

For 2016 the Honda is an all new design and improves to a "Good" rating, but guess what Toyota made structural improvements to the 2016 (it was news to me too) even mid cycle and also earns a "Good" rating. http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/02/2016-toyota-highlander-earns-iihs-top-safety-pick-plus.html

2016 Honda Pilot "Good"

2016 Toyota Highlander "Good"

For 2016 both vehicles earned the Top Safety Pick+ rating from IIHS, so you'll be fine choosing either one.

Reactions: rockett1021

·
Registered
451 Posts
They were both designed in different years would be my thought. The Highlander was shown in New York in April 2013 if I remember correctly so it has been around in its current form for at least 3 years. Not sure when the Pilot was first shown, but it has to be at least 2+ years newer. They had to do something after the abysmal test results of the previous gen.
You can attribute this to the changing test criteria. If the vehicle was not designed to a later standard it is likely to fail that test. As an example the offset test criteria was only recently introduced. This criteria requires that the vehicle crash into an object at the side of the front instead of full front crash
Totally correct. Crash tests are designed to make vehicles fail with every new update. It forces the manufacturers to continually update and improve safety in new ways.

Vehicles designed earlier will have a harder time in the new tests because they weren't initially designed with that particular test in mind.

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,927 Posts
Who is the car designer, Pininfarina or AIG?
:)

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,304 Posts
Dont recall...any idea what crash ratings were on 2014 ? Considering how far the front L. side got pushed back on 2016 HL test crash, makes me wonder what does inside (d.side) look like? Apparently test dummy survived, but wondering about "humans"?

·
Registered
Asheville
95 Posts
The test dummies are instrumented to record pressure on various part of their body so their data becomes applicable to humans.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,304 Posts
The test dummies are instrumented to record pressure on various part of their body so their data becomes applicable to humans.
I get that. Never been in wreck like "crash test" shows & hope I never do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts