Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought a new 2020 Highlander and this my second winter with it (driven about 20K km).

The inside car windows fogs and frost up quickly and easily no matter what settings I try. It is now too dangerous for me to even drive it when the temperature drops below 0 degrees (Toronto). The windscreen, driver and passenger, rear passenger were completely frosted. I've owned 4 Mercedes, 2 Toyotas, 2 Hondas and a GMC, but have never experienced anything like this.

There is no moisture in the car, the windows are cleaned, AC setting is on and I'm at my wits end as to whats happening. I suspect that the car is not well insulated and that cold air is still seeping in from the sides but its so hard to tell.

If anyone has experienced this with their 2020 Highlander please chime in. Thank you so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Highlander Platinum Hybrid
157 Posts
Screenshot of your HVAC panel settings would be helpful . My friend with 2020 highlander platinum in Toronto has just spent the morning stuck in traffic in Toronto and we video chatted. His windows are clear without issue. He's running HVAC on auto.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,856 Posts
This problem has come up before. Your car may have a problem with a servo behind the glove compartment that controls which ducts are used to blow air through the dash for the various HVAC control settings.

This TSB describes the problem. There's a "Revision 2" issued on June 11, 2021 that NHTSA doesn't have posted that includes 2020-2021 Highlander.

Standard disclaimer about TSB's: a TSB is not a recall, but instead it's a known solution to a common problem some customers are having. Work performed at the direction of a TSB is only free if your car exhibits the problem AND the components involved are still covered by a warranty (3/36 Basic or 5/60 Powertrain).

Definitely go to your dealer about this!!

Here's the VIN information for the applicability of T-SB-0020-19 Rev2:
Product Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I bought a new 2020 Highlander and this my second winter with it (driven about 20K km).

The inside car windows fogs and frost up quickly and easily no matter what settings I try. It is now too dangerous for me to even drive it when the temperature drops below 0 degrees (Toronto). The windscreen, driver and passenger, rear passenger were completely frosted. I've owned 4 Mercedes, 2 Toyotas, 2 Hondas and a GMC, but have never experienced anything like this.

There is no moisture in the car, the windows are cleaned, AC setting is on and I'm at my wits end as to whats happening. I suspect that the car is not well insulated and that cold air is still seeping in from the sides but its so hard to tell.

If anyone has experienced this with their 2020 Highlander please chime in. Thank you so much!
I have the EXACT same issue just north of you in Barrie and just came back from Toyota but they said there was nothing wrong…it was actually insulting and I had to leave before I blew a gasket with their dismissiveness and unwillingness to take me serious and look deeper into it. Hence why I am here now as I’m doing my own research, and low and behold I’m not the only one as a few have this issue and a few have posted what may and/or is the issue. Thanks to those who have posted what could invariably be the problem…I now have ‘ammunition’ to go back to the dealership with!

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
Don't understand some of these dealers. It's clearly a safety issue so why would they dismiss it?!
Only thing they can do is take your vehicle for the night and not do anything to it because there may well be nothing they can do. So now you gotta find a way home assuming they don't give you a loaner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't understand some of these dealers. It's clearly a safety issue so why would they dismiss it?!
It certainly is! We went on a 2 hour drive on Saturday and we had had to scrape the windows with a credit card every 15 minutes to get the frost/ice off. I have no idea what I would have done if I was in the car alone and didn't have people to scrape down the passenger and back windows?!? Well, I know what I would have done, I would have driven with the window down (or sunroof open), which I have to do now (in well-below freezing temperatures!).
I'm in the process of doing research and will be sending an email to the dealership with my findings - and I'll be sure to include the manager of the dealership on that email.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It certainly is! We went on a 2 hour drive on Saturday and we had had to scrape the windows with a credit card every 15 minutes to get the frost/ice off. I have no idea what I would have done if I was in the car alone and didn't have people to scrape down the passenger and back windows?!? Well, I know what I would have done, I would have driven with the window down (or sunroof open), which I have to do now (in well-below freezing temperatures!).
I'm in the process of doing research and will be sending an email to the dealership with my findings - and I'll be sure to include the manager of the dealership on that email.
I would call Toyota Canada and have them open a case for you too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Set air to defrost, AC on, heat on, ducts to recirculate and slightly open a window. The window will clear of fog quickly as moisture goes out the window.
Thanks Corollacoaster but this isn't a 'once thing' and a little condensation, this is an everytime thing and frost/ice building up and covering 80-100% on the windows over and over again. Besides, I don't think I should pay $50,000 for a brand new car that I have to always drive with the windows open in the dead of winter!?

·
Registered
800 Posts
IMO they are making the windshield glass thinner than they used to. My 2016 Camry has taken numerous hits from rocks and no cracks. My GF 2019 Camry is on it's second windshield. My 2016 F-150 is the same way, on it's fourth windshield. My truck is the first vehicle I've ever owned that will form so much condensation on the inside of the windshield (and only the windshield) that it will form water drops and run down. Defog does nothing, you have to wipe it off. This happens in the summer when it's been sitting in the heat all day and there is a thunderstorm that cools it down.

I have a feeling that's what's happening here. The cabin is warming from the heater and cold air outside is forming condensation on the glass which freezes. From the pics the glass clears right above the defroster vents but the air isn't strong or hot enough to reach every inch of the windshield. Toyota tends to have defroster vents in the center of the dash instead of the entire width of the dash like some other makes. Also, I find there is very little airflow to the defroster vents in any setting other than when defog is selected. Same thing with my Hondas. But in my F-150 there is pretty good flow to the defogger vents even if you have it in panel or feet.

Another factor is Asian cars tend to run cool vs American and European vehicles. My Camry's vent output on full heat is about 140 which is plenty to keep it warm (I live in the south, so I don't know real winters) but my Ford puts out about 170 at the vents.

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
998 Posts
There is no moisture in the car, the windows are cleaned, AC setting is on and I'm at my wits end as to what's happening. I suspect that the car is not well insulated and that cold air is still seeping in from the sides but its so hard to tell.
In my ~50 years of driving experience in cold climates, the vehicle HAS to have excess moisture in the vehicle, at extreme cold temp start, in order to have this happen.

Assuming there is nothing wrong mechanically, and the dealer says there isn't, this looks like a setting of the HVAC controls being wrong that is causing this issue for your vehicle.

Please post a picture of your HVAC setting's, also showing the vehicle at operating temps, with this happening and not clearing.

Something definitely isn't right here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts