Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,856 Posts
Based on the TSB, I don't know if it's safe to assume that there is nothing wrong mechanically.

I think the two people with the issues need to talk to their dealer and find out of the actuator/air circulation issue is what's causing the problem. I wonder if Gary's dealer didn't know where to look.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited 2022
4 Posts
Hello, I bought a new 2020 Highlander and this my second winter with it (driven about 20K km).

The inside car windows fogs and frost up quickly and easily no matter what settings I try. It is now too dangerous for me to even drive it when the temperature drops below 0 degrees (Toronto). The windscreen, driver and passenger, rear passenger were completely frosted. I've owned 4 Mercedes, 2 Toyotas, 2 Hondas and a GMC, but have never experienced anything like this.

There is no moisture in the car, the windows are cleaned, AC setting is on and I'm at my wits end as to whats happening. I suspect that the car is not well insulated and that cold air is still seeping in from the sides but its so hard to tell.

If anyone has experienced this with their 2020 Highlander please chime in. Thank you so much!
I had the same exact problem and it drove me crazy. Went to the dealership 4 times before showing them this thread for proof Defrost issues

After forcing them to double check, turns out the servo motor needs to be replaced, the re-circulation stays shut and causes humidity in the car.
Font Monochrome Newspaper Close-up Number

I'm like 90% sure this is the issue, feel free to show them this photo, it's a Toyota dealership invoice. I go to Dixie Toyota.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I bought a new 2020 Highlander and this my second winter with it (driven about 20K km).

The inside car windows fogs and frost up quickly and easily no matter what settings I try. It is now too dangerous for me to even drive it when the temperature drops below 0 degrees (Toronto). The windscreen, driver and passenger, rear passenger were completely frosted. I've owned 4 Mercedes, 2 Toyotas, 2 Hondas and a GMC, but have never experienced anything like this.

There is no moisture in the car, the windows are cleaned, AC setting is on and I'm at my wits end as to whats happening. I suspect that the car is not well insulated and that cold air is still seeping in from the sides but its so hard to tell.

If anyone has experienced this with their 2020 Highlander please chime in. Thank you so much!
You have the hvac setting in the recirc mode. Many people do this because they don’t want outside air to come in during cold weather. But the cold air runs through the ac which dehumidifies and heats the air during cold weather. If folks would just set their havac to the auto setting the system will do all the work for you. All you have to do is adjust the temperature to your comfort level. Sometimes when the car is loaded with people and it is frigid outside you can set the havac to defrost,raise the temp and fan speed and this will correct it. Under normal conditions, which is 99% of the time set your system to the auto position and adjust the temperature just like you set the thermostat in your home.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Without knowing exactly what HVAC settings you're using (which you have not provided), everyone here is just speculating that there's an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Final Update:

The HVAC settings were at the usual settings, auto, AC on and I have to set it to full blast defogging just to ensure that part of the windshield and side driver window is visible.

But really, I think we shouldn't have to worry so much with HVAC settings for any car in order to prevent dangerous levels of fogging and frost build up. It should be safe at auto climate settings and if needed defogging to clear the windows at the start. I have never experienced anything like this in my 20+ years of driving and owning multiple cars. It is hard for anyone to understand unless they are facing similar issues. Hopefully my experience can help other Highlander Hybrid owners who are facing similar problems and know that it exist.

When i brought it back to the dealer in Brampton, I showed them the comments from this forum and their head technician commented:
  • Insist there is no problem and even if there was, nothing can be done to fix it.
  • The TSB suggested by one of the forum members is not applicable to the VIN of my Highlander Hybrid and therefore they cannot work on it.
  • this is a very uncommon occurrence and they have never had a single report
  • Insist there was moisture trapped in the car somewhere
  • Suggested that I put kitty litter in a sock and put it under the driver seat to prevent fogging
Life is too short to have to deal with car problems or convince people about it. Preserve your mental health, cut your losses and get a new car immediately. That's what I did. End of story.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts