Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased Azera instead of Camry (poster "cookoo")

I've read a lot about new Camry and saw it several times on the street, but never been inside of this car. The front design was a little bit strange to me but I already decided to buy a Camry and I took my wife and 2 kids together to Toyota dealer last Sunday. When I opened the door and looked inside, I'm so disappointed on the interior quality. This is not the Camry what I expected. I bought a Camry 10 years ago and the fabrics and the finish were so good at that time. 2007 Camry is acceptable on the outside design, but the inside finish is not the way it used to be. I can feel sharp edges on inside door handles. Cheap and flimsy temperature adjusting knobs and cheesy back seat cup holder made me not even want to test drive this Camry. Even my 11 years old kid said it's interior looked like a "Barbie Car."
I was looking for another car and found a Hyundai Azera. I never thought I'm going to buy a "Hyundai" for my next car because of the name brand. But when I took a look Azera in and out, I'm so impressed by it's finish quality. All the touches that I saw on past Toyota is now on this car, Azera. Car seat materials, ceiling fabrics, spacious interior, and every meticulous switches/buttons are very satisfactory. I took a test drive and it was so quiet and powerful. I purchased Azera SE on Sunday night and I'm very happy with my decision. If Toyota made Azera and Hyundai made Camry, I would say Azera should be at least twice more expensive than Camry. Everything is changing. We will see it...

the hyundai azera has got to be one of the ugliest car out there!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the Camry SE and love the front end. My wife and kids are also crazy about the car . Sounds like it must be a love it or hate it type deal. The Camry does have some issues. I'm not sure the perfect car has been built.

·
Registered
505 Posts
that car is fugly imo, however points well taken.....I agree with the interior but this is the way i see it.....
04 camry LE msrp 20,6xx 07 camry le msrp 21600.....
what has been added

5 extra airbags and all the sensors to go with it, larger wheels tires, rear discs, antilock brakes, better headlights, an extra speed to tranny.....

all that costs money, they have to cut corners, to make the same profit, it only makes sense

·
Registered
383 Posts
Who english him?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Why is it hilarious? He made some valid, albeit exaggerated points. The Azera, and Sonata are good cars for the money. In my case, I couldn't live without OEM NAV and some other performance aspects of the SE V6 that the Hyundai couldn't provide. My neighbor has a '06 Sonata V6 and it is an impressive value.

·
The Naive Voice of Reason
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
I actually saw the interior on the Hyundai Sonata and it does look good. The only thing I don't like is that the radios are plainish and do not appear to be designed to be replaced with aftermarket units. Based on that, I would assume that these cars are not built for modification. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :D

The exterior was also nice in my opinion on Sonata. I didn't think it was ugly at all. The Azera, on the other hand, is pretty fugly.

As for the 07 Camrys, you guys might hate me for saying this but it has its moments where it is funny looking (the exterior I mean) and other moments when it looks really good. :lol: I guess it depends on the angle I see it at.

·
The Naive Voice of Reason
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
^^Does that mean I'm wrong or does that mean you know where I go to school at? WTF? :lol:

EDIT: I edited post #6 above. The Azera is ugly. :lol:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The Azera isn't bad car.
Great warranty and price.
If it's stolen or totalled or if you buy cars every 3-4 years,the car will cost you dearly.
Resale value is terrible.

·
Registered
508 Posts
for those of you who don't follow Edmunds.com blogs and longterm reports... the funny thing is that the poster who was critical of the Camry and bought the Azera pointed out the exact 3 complaints that was reported in an editors' longterm report. It's almost as if this poster never even went to a dealership. Not trying to say that he was lying or anything, but it's convenient nonetheless.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought an '07 XLE loaded, including our 1st ever nav system. We also have an '05 Highlander LTD AWD and have had a Celica and RX300(bought used) in the past.

Maybe we drank the koolaid but we(the missus and I) think Toyota makes a great quality product. They don't have the styling of a Nissan, we've owned 3 Nissans in the past, but Toyota delivers. If you get what you pay for, we feel that Toyota does that, it may cost, but the worth is there. Since we drive our cars for over 100K, it's important the the cars last.

The certain aspects of the interior or cheapy looking, especailly the area under the gear shift, they should have made it like the Highlander, a storage spot, rather than a carpeted bump.

As for the look, I like it. Is there Something that appeals to Everyone?

·
Registered
508 Posts
heyabbott said:
The certain aspects of the interior or cheapy looking, especailly the area under the gear shift, they should have made it like the Highlander, a storage spot, rather than a carpeted bump.

As for the look, I like it. Is there Something that appeals to Everyone?
I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to the "carpeted bump under the gear shift"? The area under the gear shift that I'm thinking of is the covered accessory plug and storage compartment for a cell or what ever. between the gear shift knob and the armrest/center console.

As for the look, you're exactly right... styling is subjective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts