Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rated H: Chikan Sukebe
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October 19, 2004 - - Hino Motors Manufacturing USA, Inc. (HMM), a subsidiary of Hino Motors, Ltd. (Hino) celebrated today the production of its first North American made truck. It was assembled in Long Beach by Toyota's longest operating U.S. manufacturing facility, TABC, Inc. All Hino trucks sold in the USA had previously been imported from Japan until today. This is the first new vehicle assembly business to come into the state of California since New United Motor Manufacturing Inc. (NUMMI) began production in Fremont in 1984.

Hino and HMM are affiliated companies of the Toyota Motor Corporation. Hino produces a range of commercial vehicles and supplies trucks and buses to many countries throughout the world. Hino has proudly maintained its position as the number one selling medium/heavy duty truck in Japan for the past 31 years.

"We are proud of the partnership between HMM and TABC represented in this project," said Kimio Watanabe, HMM President. "Through the cooperation of our team members, Hino will continue to manufacture high quality, reliable commercial trucks."

Today's ceremony marks the beginning of Hino's North American truck production as well as Hino's commitment to help grow the California economy. HMM's Ontario, CA facility represents a $30M investment.

More than 75 Hino and TABC team members already work for the new Hino Class 4-7 Trucks which have been specially designed for the North American market. In 2004, production is expected to be approximately 2,000 units. By 2006, Hino and TABC estimate production at 10,000 trucks per year.

"As our sales volume increases in North America, so does our commitment to localization here," said Tadaaki Jagawa, Chairman of Hino Motors, Ltd. "Commercial truck production is another step in Hino's growth in this region. We are very happy with the work of the TABC team and look forward to a long future together. We also hope that our business will contribute to the economic growth of Long Beach, Ontario and surrounding communities."

In 2003, Hino produced and sold 87,000 trucks/buses worldwide with a gross revenue of $10 billion.

HMM builds automotive components for Toyota as well as procuring and coordinating the Hino Truck assembly venture with TABC. As of September 2004, Hino employment has exceeded 220 team members in the United States.

TABC first started with truck bed production in 1972. Today the company manufactures catalytic converters, power steering columns and substrates for Toyota vehicles. TABC employs over 580 people at its Long Beach plant.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Cool Beans:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Hino also won the design contest for the new, redesigned 2005 Tacoma. Oh wow, Ontario, CA is only 35 minutes away. You guys should see the Toyota facility there, it's huge. So I wonder where the Hino building would be.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
I didn't know Hino was such a huge company. I would always see their trucks when I go to Mexico and Guatemala, but just thought they were cheap Mexican and Guatemalan made trucks. Wow I learnt something new today.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
dna59 said:
I didn't know Hino was such a huge company. I would always see their trucks when I go to Mexico and Guatemala, but just thought they were cheap Mexican and Guatemalan made trucks. Wow I learnt something new today.
In asia if you go you will see Hino-Pak on the badging, meaning that hino made that truck in Pakistan. Hino is a huge company! and their trucks are reliable

·
Rockin the STi
MR2 Turbo
1,557 Posts
wow didnt know they were that big interesting stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts