Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All!

I've got a '97 Camry that is giving me problems. So about six weeks ago I was involved in a rollover accident. I'm fine, luckily. The car was mostly fine as well, except for the power steering pump breaking, both side mirrors breaking off, and a cracked windshield. Oh, and some fluids completely leaking out. After repairing or replacing everything, except for the power steering pump, about two weeks ago, the radiator started giving me problems.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the accident, but the car started overheating while driving it a couple of hours. I can't afford to get it towed to a mechanic to get looked at right now, so I put some radiator sealant in. Ever since then, the car now overheats after running for ten minutes, sometimes sooner. I also hear a hissing noise near the engine, with steam coming from the area. I have also noticed that two hoses are leaking. I will admit that after the accident, the coolant tank was empty, so I temporarily put water in there. I completely forgot to replace it with coolant. I have new coolant to put in now, but don't want to fill it if it's all going to leak out. The radiator appears fine.

Could the hissing noise just be from a couple busted hoses? Could the hoses have cracked because of the water possibly freezing from freezing outside temperatures? The coolant tank is still full (of water).

Two short videos I shot:
and

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sure looks like a busted hose somewhere in there. Hard to tell exactly what from the video. Grab the hoses and flex them a bit, see if any splits or breaks appear. A cooling system pressure tester is helpful for this. You can pressurize the system when it's cool and look for the leak without all the steam

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 on the cooling system pressure tester. Let everything cool down and hookup the tester you will quickly find your leak(s). The kit should be a loan-a-tool from your local parts supply store.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't throw any light on the hissing but I'm very impressed that you rolled this thing over and can keep driving it. Solid cars!

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,839 Posts
Holy. You rolled over and still driving that thing?

There's not much around where the steam is coming from. Other the two heater hoses (inlet and outlet) and the throttle body coolant hoses. My guess is that there a bunch of air in the system causing it to run hot rather quickly. Toyota coolant systems typically burp pretty easily though...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts