Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey yall. Currently have a 200k miles camry SE V6 2007. Everything was pretty solid on the front end and it drove amazing. However i hit a curb bad. It wasnt a direct hit. i got forced out of my lane and hit the curb while slamming my brakes. it gave a pretty bad curb rash and tore my old tire up on the side wall. now feel a vibration with speed when i go 40mph +. The vibration feels like its on the side i hit. If i accelate quick it goes all over the place. It will downshift strange on rare ocassion when braking hard. It feels like it needs more gas to go forward. My mpg is worse. when i give it gas very lightly its slows down. If i take my foot off the gas the engine brake is annoying, it slows down quick now. If i put the car in neutral it seems to lose everyting thats holding it back and it starts to coast… I took off my wheel and everything looked good… im not really sure what the issue is. When i am driving it seems to follow the bumps or anything it drives over. on the right, passenger side especially. When this happens i feel my steering wheel move. I got a new set of tires. I think tierod end on passenger side->alignment-> both control arms and then it will okay.. i love the car i want to keep it for a while. I would appreciate professional advice.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,847 Posts
Do not drive the car.
You have serious damage to the front suspension on that side and it could cause a serious loss of control and crash.

It sounds like the transmission was also damaged, likely from the driveshaft being shoved inward.

·
Registered
2004 Solara SLE Convertible, 3.3 V6
960 Posts
@cb91710

Amen!! And this is absolutely a situation where advice other than your own, "Don't drive it," combined with, "Get it to a qualified shop for assessment and repair," would be irresponsible.

This is precisely the reason that towing insurance exists, and if you have it, use it to get the car safely to a facility that can assess the damage and do the repairs.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have the money to take it in. Im gonna have to ask my grandparents. Sheesh. Anyone got a DIY? My trans axle maybe?

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,847 Posts
Money available or not, broken stuff has to be fixed, and what you describe is pretty seriously messed up.
Pulling under acceleration and braking typically indicates that the control arms are broken or their mounts are stretched.
The power issues you describe are likely the transmission, but they could also be related to the ABS system.
It's impossible to troubleshoot more than that online without pictures of the components, but even then, things may look just fine.

The fact that you can't tell what the problem is reinforces the fact that this is a job for a trained mechanic to handle.

It's a shame, that's a beautiful car. Any way to submit it to your insurance since it was the result of being run off the road?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I do not have the money to take it in. Im gonna have to ask my grandparents. Sheesh. Anyone got a DIY?
The following should not be taken as snark, but as a straight between the eyes life-lesson: If you don't have the money, that doesn't matter, and if you can't get it, the car sits.

You have a lot more to lose, a LOT more, driving a car with the behaviors you describe. You could easily end up killing yourself or someone else if a catastrophic failure occurs, and it absolutely could.

This is NOT a situation where anyone should or would even consider offering any DIY advice. As noted by @cb91710, this is a time where a professional eye is an absolute necessity.

And his recommendation that you check with insurance isn't a bad one if you are not at fault and, ideally, if you got law enforcement involved afterward to report the incident. But if you didn't, and you're young (which I have to presume based on the grandparents comment) it could cost you quite a bit more if insurance becomes involved. Your rates could skyrocket.

Reactions: Brad_G and cb91710

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
14,653 Posts
You need to confirm the damage if there is any damage. I've gone over plenty of medians or up small curbs with no issue.

There are no direct instructions for this. You lift the vehicle and check for play. Shake the wheel side to side to check tie rods, shake the wheel top and bottom to check the ball joints. Jam a pry bar under the control arm bushings and check if it hits metal. This is a all basic suspension check.

If you are unable to do this, take it to a shop or someone who does.

ON THE OTHERHAND, if you had gotten new tires after this you could've told the shop your worries and they could've done a quick inspection.

Even then, under the assumption they did a very quick inspection when they did your tires they evidently didn't find anything to note unless you got your tires at what I guess you could call a "in and out" tire only shop.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Post #5 & 6 say it best. The damage is beyond your untrained eye and current skill set to solve. Please seek paid labor.

From your observations, it sounds like a lot of suspension components and I would NOT be surprised if the transmission needs work/replacement. Alignment is f'd as you note the car does NOT want to track straight, esp on the right side.

The wheel that hit the curb will most likely need to be replaced. Replace the damaged wheel w/ the rear wheel. Put the spare on the rear. This might alleviate the vibration. BUT, there are still suspension components and the transmission, that will most likely need to be repaired.

Given the mileage and year, you may want to consider just replacing the vehicle. Loans are cheap if your credit is good.

Invest in a QUALITY dash cam setup (Front & Rear); lots of cheap junk cams, better ones cost $200+. The offending idiot's license plate would likely be visible, and you'd be able to go after them for damages. But then again the offending idiot could be penniless/uninsured; suing them in small claims would be an empty victory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not have the money to take it in. Im gonna have to ask my grandparents. Sheesh. Anyone got a DIY? My trans axle maybe?
From what you are saying in your original post, a trans axle is the least of your problems. I agree with the others that said have it towed to a shop and looked at.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,847 Posts
It may very well be that the control arm is broken and the half-shaft being jammed into the transmission housing and the strut are the only things holding that knuckle on.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Driving over a curb will do less damage than hitting it sideways. My son damaged the rear axle hub assembly of a Chevy Suburban doing that. The solid axle is far stronger than the components of a Camry but it still sustained damage.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Didn't get the answers he wanted.
Yup. There's a reason for my signature, which predates this topic by quite a while.

Reactions: Brad_G and cb91710

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,200 Posts
Hey yall. Currently have a 200k miles camry SE V6 2007. Everything was pretty solid on the front end and it drove amazing. However i hit a curb bad. It wasnt a direct hit. i got forced out of my lane and hit the curb while slamming my brakes. it gave a pretty bad curb rash and tore my old tire up on the side wall. now feel a vibration with speed when i go 40mph +. The vibration feels like its on the side i hit. If i accelate quick it goes all over the place. It will downshift strange on rare ocassion when braking hard. It feels like it needs more gas to go forward. My mpg is worse. when i give it gas very lightly its slows down. If i take my foot off the gas the engine brake is annoying, it slows down quick now. If i put the car in neutral it seems to lose everyting thats holding it back and it starts to coast… I took off my wheel and everything looked good… im not really sure what the issue is. When i am driving it seems to follow the bumps or anything it drives over. on the right, passenger side especially. When this happens i feel my steering wheel move. I got a new set of tires. I think tierod end on passenger side->alignment-> both control arms and then it will okay.. i love the car i want to keep it for a while. I would appreciate professional advice. View attachment 343226 Thanks.
Op, sorry to hear this.

I had a similar experience. The difference for me was the sun glared in my eyes and I hit the center median. At the time, it drove fine. Maybe a month later, the lower ball joint gave and split the tie rod and knuckle. This happened on a switchback onto a highway.

@cb91710 is correct. You should not drive it until you can repair the side of damage.

Be safe out there and stop driving it as it could hurt you or someone else.

If the cost is to great, sell it off and get another car. If transmission is damaged, it could scrap the car.

Have you asked your insurance company?

Reactions: cb91710

·
Registered
2008 Camry SE V6
69 Posts
Not sure if the OP is still monitoring the thread or if he/she intends to come back, but from my perspective, that's a gorgeous ride; I have an 08 SE in Blue Ribbon Metallic and always loved the Barcelona Red (was one of my first choices for color).

What douchemeister forced you out of your lane? What happened?

As for the damages, unless I'm just not seeing them in the pics, where are they? Or were you just providing pics of the car in general?

My apologies if I missed that in the original post...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts