Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I hit a deep pothole that cause both tires on one side to get bubbles on the side walls, I also bent the front rim. I'm still fighting with the county and my insurance company to see if I can reimbursed for the damage.
My local Toyota wants $500.00 for one rim, I went online and seen where I can purchase a "Toyota" rim for $169.00 with free shipping.

Are these rims any good, or are they some cheep Chinese rims I should stay away from?

Thanks
Tonyjj

·
Registered
193 Posts
Start calling junkyards. We all rooms technically never wear out unless they get wrecked so there will be an abundance of them kicking about in the junkyards. A used one is going to be every bit as good as that no one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't forget to get an alignment.
I clipped a sewer cover and slit my tire on my Accord. the car kicked pretty good when it happened. I just got a new tire and said screw it...
Welp, eventually the tires started cupping... Got an alignment but the whomp whomp sound remained, discount tire said it couldnt be fixed, so I just rode the tires and had them rotated often..
it pretty much wore back in.. luckily.
Get a rim and tire and an alignment to be safe

·
Wheel & Tire Guys
all
646 Posts
Last week I hit a deep pothole that cause both tires on one side to get bubbles on the side walls, I also bent the front rim. I'm still fighting with the county and my insurance company to see if I can reimbursed for the damage.
My local Toyota wants $500.00 for one rim, I went online and seen where I can purchase a "Toyota" rim for $169.00 with free shipping.

Are these rims any good, or are they some cheep Chinese rims I should stay away from?

Thanks
Tonyjj
Happy Friday to all!

Just a few thoughts, if you go the aftermarket route and are only going to replace one of them try and find one that is as close as you can in offset to the original. Otherwise when it gets rotated to the front it could have a negative effect on handling.

As far as quality, most every wheel sold in the US have to meet manufacturing criteria for safety. Most any of those options you may find should work for your intention.

·
Registered
2018 Camry SE
73 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Is the rim just bent? If so why not have it repaired? Likely will cost the same as the aftermarket wheel.

·
Registered
2018 XSE V6
19 Posts

Thanks
Tonyjj
same thing happened to me. My rim was quoted at 600. Found one on ebay from a wheel and rim dealer for 150. I could find no difference from original. Toyota installed it with no problems and it has been fine for 10k miles. Not all chinese goods are "cheap" Are you sure the factory rims are not made in China?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts