Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just threw a hitch on my o7 taco and need to wire it. What is the best harness to get that is zero splice but plug and play? Where do you think i should get it and what kind?

thx

also, before you all holler, i searched but it didn't yield any specific answers.

thx

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
I just threw a hitch on my o7 taco and need to wire it. What is the best harness to get that is zero splice but plug and play? Where do you think i should get it and what kind?

thx

also, before you all holler, i searched but it didn't yield any specific answers.

thx
4 pin ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 pin? Really don't know, don't know a whole lot about the stuff. Just want to be able to tow around a small trailer from time to time for camping etc.

Perhaps you can shed some light?

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
hoppy makes a nice plug and play 4 pin. If you want the 7 way you need to hardwire one.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
4 pin? Really don't know, don't know a whole lot about the stuff. Just want to be able to tow around a small trailer from time to time for camping etc.

Perhaps you can shed some light?
if you want to tow a camper you will need a 7 way. You need to run a 12v 10ga wire from the battery as well as a lead from the cab for the brake controler. Its pretty involved if You have never done any wiring. I would let someone do it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
won't be schlepping a trailer, just a small utility trailer, little 4x6 or what not.

So I'm guessing a 4pin.

I've searched a bunch...area they all the same brand vs brand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why take it somewhere and spend a 100 bucks when it's clear its all T connector's...

I'm just looking for practical info... not some monkey that doesn't give a sh it jacking everything up. I'd rather screw it up myself and learn from it than split tail the whole task and let someone who could care less mess w/ it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just picked up a TOYOTA 4pin form the local dealer for $95. It comes with fuses and relays that tie into the trucks fuse box. Putting the trailer lights on a separate circuit than the trucks. Many times I end up towing a trailer with questionable wiring. Better to blow this than the trucks electrical, because the t connector is a glorified splice. I already have the cap lights wired to the trucks taillights.

·
Registered
455 Posts
+1 Salsataco
The Toyota harness isolates your trailer harness from the truck harness. If you want to T in splices it's your truck, but I have to vote for keeping things separate. There is quite a bit of protection in the Toyota harness. It comes with instructions so you still can do it yourself. I don't know if somebody makes the same thing aftermarket for cheaper, but at the time I did mine it was all I could find.

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
salsataco & olbus .... you guys have any pics or schematics so that we can wire our own for less?

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
awesome, thanks man, exactly what i was looking for!

·
Registered
51 Posts
An easy 15 minute install

Enough already! Go to etrailer.com and buy part # 118393 (List: $56.11 Price: $39.95)

It's what I used in my 2008, it works, is of good quality and is relitivly inexpencive. Read the instructions here. The only caution I would add is when removing the rear tail light assemblies is to pull straight back with no twisting or rocking so as to not break the locating pins. It an easy 15 minute install. Later if you find you need a 5, 6 or 7 pin plug you can just get an adapter.

Don't know why people are jerking you around so...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts