Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I called U-haul to install a trailer hitch on my 2006 Highlander Hybrid yesterday and they said that they could install the hitch but not the wiring because it was a hybrid but that I should be able to get the wiring at the dealer and it would be a simple quick connect deal so I went ahead and had them install it. So then I went to the dealer to get the wiring harness and they told me that they only sold the harness and the hitch as a kit which isn't really a good option since I already paid $200 to have a hitch installed. So I did a little more research and it looks like toyota has wiring harness converter box part number "08921-48861". It seems like this is the part I need but I wanted to double check.

Also from the picture it doesn't appear to have any wires coming from it so would I also need a 4 prong flat hitch connector such as this one?

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/56107-toyota-highlander-trailer-wiring-kit.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwjd2pBRDB4o_ymcieoAQSJABm4egoTzD0AqERaCkPelnOyHxBPRJINMENT8vl18mQhxAXuBoC6Z7w_wcB

Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
2010 HiHy Limited
15 Posts
Electrical in the OEM kit is two components: a box installed under the dash and a wiring harness which connects to a pre-wired connector in the left rear cargo area and passes through a grommet before routing to the receiver area (and is terminated with the standard four-wire hitch connector). My kit included both (along with a few other pieces, like the mounting bracket and bolts) as part PT219-48111. Instructions show 2011- but it fit my 2010 HyHi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Electrical in the OEM kit is two components: a box installed under the dash and a wiring harness which connects to a pre-wired connector in the left rear cargo area and passes through a grommet before routing to the receiver area (and is terminated with the standard four-wire hitch connector). My kit included both (along with a few other pieces, like the mounting bracket and bolts) as part PT219-48111. Instructions show 2011- but it fit my 2010 HyHi.
The 2010 is a second generation highlander. My 2006 is a first generation highlander, I could be wrong but from trying to research this with the limited amount of information that is easily found on the web with google it seems that the wiring procedure is different for a 2006 than a 2010 and requires different parts.

Does anyone have any advice for hitch wiring and know which parts I need to wire a hitch for a first generation HyHi?

·
Registered
2007 Highlander AWD
58 Posts
My 2007 Highlander Limited (non-Hybrid) came equipped with the factory installed towing package so I didn't need to buy the additional converter box, but the part number that you posted is the correct one for it. You do need the 4 flat wire harness (Toyota part#08942-48870-BB) to connect between the converter box down to the towing hitch. Also, I did have to install a 10 amp fuse in the slot marked "Towing" in the fuse/relay box under the hood.

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Highlander Base model
43 Posts
My 2007 Highlander Limited (non-Hybrid) came equipped with the factory installed towing package so I didn't need to buy the additional converter box, but the part number that you posted is the correct one for it. You do need the 4 flat wire harness (Toyota part#08942-48870-BB) to connect between the converter box down to the towing hitch. Also, I did have to install a 10 amp fuse in the slot marked "Towing" in the fuse/relay box under the hood.
Hello everyone. I have a 2006 Highlander with towing package, which i verified on the Toyota website and visually. I just added the Toyota OEM hitch which comes with 4 way flat connector Toyota part#: 08942-48870-BB mentioned above. I attached the hitch wiring to the 4 pin connector coming from the wiring harness and none of the lights on the trailer work. Tested the 4 pin connector with my circuit tester and one pin is hot and the other 3 aren't.

4 pin hitch.jpg 4 pin wiring.jpg

I tested the 8 pin connector with the circuit tester and that's where the signal for the trailer is going through (verified turn and brake).
8 pin wiring.jpg

I added the fuse under the hood. I thought the 4 pin connector was part of the towing package so no converter was needed. Am i missing something, or do I just need to buy the converter?

Thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
From the picture it looks like your converter is missing, but if that were true then you would have no voltage on any pin at the trailer connector, but you say you have voltage on one of them, so I am not sure I am following you.
If you have the tow prep package you should have the 8 wire converter, designated T9 in the manual, unless someone removed it. It is located in the left rear on the same wiring harness as the 4 wire T10 connector for the harness to the flat plug. I think that is the 8 pin connector you show.
For T9 the towing converter the Volt meter test is: pin 3 (brown) to ground is 12 volts with headlights on, pin 8 (orange) to ground is always 12 volts, pin 5 (white-black) to ground - continuity less than 0.1 ohm Pin 9 (blue) to ground is 12 v with stop lights on. Pin 2 (white) 12 volts pulse with left signal on. Pin 6 (red) 12 volts pulsing with right signal on, pin 1 (yellow) is 12 volts with headlights on,
Pins 2 and 6 are 12 volts with the brake lights on.
Where I say headlights on, it can be just the markers as long as the tail lights are on.
Verify all the car lights are working.

·
Registered
2007 Highlander AWD
58 Posts
From the picture it looks like your converter is missing, but if that were true then you would have no voltage on any pin at the trailer connector, but you say you have voltage on one of them, so I am not sure I am following you.
If you have the tow prep package you should have the 8 wire converter, designated T9 in the manual, unless someone removed it. It is located in the left rear on the same wiring harness as the 4 wire T10 connector for the harness to the flat plug. I think that is the 8 pin connector you show.
For T9 the towing converter the Volt meter test is: pin 3 (brown) to ground is 12 volts with headlights on, pin 8 (orange) to ground is always 12 volts, pin 5 (white-black) to ground - continuity less than 0.1 ohm Pin 9 (blue) to ground is 12 v with stop lights on. Pin 2 (white) 12 volts pulse with left signal on. Pin 6 (red) 12 volts pulsing with right signal on, pin 1 (yellow) is 12 volts with headlights on,
Where I say headlights on, it can be just the markers as long as the tail lights are on.
Exactly as CR says. The converter will look like this if it's present:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorry- need to mention that the wiring information came from the 2005 wiring diagram. Yours could be different.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the info.
One pin in pic #2 was hot which goes to the wiring harness.
Thanks for the info. I have the tow package, but seems the converter is missing. I inherited this car from my mom and she bought it new so it probably wasn't removed. Guess i'll call Toyota and make sure.

From the Toyota VIN vehicle specification webpage.
TO Tow Prep Package includes;
Transmission/Power Steering/engine oil coolers,
heavy duty radiator, 120 watt fan coupling, trailer prewire,
130 amp alternator, 3000 pounds towing capacity

Exactly as CR says. The converter will look like this if it's present:
Is that a pic from your Highlander, and is it a first gen? Looks like there is overlap in the 2007 model year. My tire is underneath the vehicle, but it's now AWD.

·
Registered
2007 Highlander AWD
58 Posts
Thanks for the info.

One pin in pic #2 was hot which goes to the wiring harness.
Thanks for the info. I have the tow package, but seems the converter is missing. I inherited this car from my mom and she bought it new so it probably wasn't removed. Guess i'll call Toyota and make sure.

From the Toyota VIN vehicle specification webpage.
TO Tow Prep Package includes;
Transmission/Power Steering/engine oil coolers,
heavy duty radiator, 120 watt fan coupling, trailer prewire,
130 amp alternator, 3000 pounds towing capacity

Is that a pic from your Highlander, and is it a first gen? Looks like there is overlap in the 2007 model year. My tire is underneath the vehicle, but it's now AWD.
That was just a quick screen grab (my spare is also under the car). I didn't have a pic in my files of it when I did my install. The converter definitely looks like that (blue box) and I had to buy it too. Yup, mine (2007) is a 1st Gen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That was just a quick screen grab (my spare is also under the car). I didn't have a pic in my files of it when I did my install. The converter definitely looks like that (blue box) and I had to buy it too. Yup, mine (2007) is a 1st Gen.
Ok, I was confused. From your 5th post in this thread, it said you didn't have to buy another converter box. I took that as the rear converter box was included with the tow prep package. My mistake.

·
Registered
2007 Highlander AWD
58 Posts
Ok, I was confused. From your 5th post in this thread, it said you didn't have to buy another converter box. I took that as the rear converter box was included with the tow prep package. My mistake.
My bad! :cautious: I went back through my notes on the original hitch install and saw that I DID have to order the blue converter box because it didn't come with the hitch kit or wasn't present in the car. My notes say "I purchased the Hitch P/N PT228-69045 and the converter P/N 08921-48861 from Toyota Parts, Genuine Toyota Parts, Toyota Accessories, TRD Performance Parts,
Champion Toyota Gulf Freeway, Houston Texas . The P/N of the converter used to be 08921-48860 but it has now been superseded to the one I have listed above. If you order those two parts
you will get everything required to install the hitch and wiring. Plus very detailed, easy instructions." Other notes that I have are "I learned that the converter is indeed necessary. It appears that in order to save cost and weight, the standard wiring uses the minimum size wire capable of carrying the current to power only the lights on the vehicle. The extra draw from trailer lights would cause a voltage drop, possibly dimming lights or blowing a fuse. The necessary converter (08921-48861) apparently includes relays.
The relay takes a signal (in this case, from the circuit that goes to each light) and closes a switch on the trailer light circuit, which then, via its own dedicated "hot" wire, goes through the four-pin
connector that 08942-48870-BB plugs into, thus avoiding extra current load on the existing vehicle light wires. Without the converter, there is no voltage to the four-pin connector.
So apparently the pre-wiring does indeed include some factory wiring, thus avoiding the splicing needed with the universal power converters offered on the hitch web sites. But the pre-wiring
doesn't include the converter, which apparently was included in '03 (other years too? I don't know)." Sorry for the confusion; hope this helps. (y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I appreciate the response. Good notes. I did notice how thin the wires were going to those connectors when testing the pins. I had the Toyota part guys doing all kinds of research trying to see if it came with the converter!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, at least Curt used to make good ones. Mine is so old that it doesn’t even come up on their site anymore but it works great.

·
Registered
2007 Highlander AWD
58 Posts
Well, at least Curt used to make good ones. Mine is so old that it doesn’t even come up on their site anymore but it works great.
The major advantage with the Toyota blue converter was that it was "plug 'n play". Did you have to splice in the Curtis one?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts