Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tacoholic
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so worried that I am going to accidentily hit the rear locker button while driving instead of the fog lights.

What would happen if I hit the wrong button? They are right next to each other. I am just going to assume that you can hit the rear locker button on and off and on and off and on and off while doing 70 mph on the highway otherwise they would have located it somewhere else. Right?

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma TRD SP
110 Posts
The truck has to be in 4Lo to engage the locker unless you have a Pre-Runner then I'm not sure. Check your owners manual.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
Why not just press the foglight button right now, while you're thinking about it, and then leave it alone? They'll be on every time you turn on your headlights.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
LiquidClen said:
What does the rear locker button do?
it locks the rear differential so there is zero slip between the left and right rear wheel. very useful for hardcore off-road type stuff.

currentsupply - IIRC, you have a prerunner? i'm pretty sure it still won't let you engage the locker over 5mph. my suggestion would be look it up in the owners manual. if you're feeling more adventurous, drive in a somewhat controlled/safe environment at like 10-15mph, and press the RR diff lock button. see what happens?

but yes, to sum it all up, i'm fairly certain it won't engage on the highway. :)

-Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
I did this while cleaning my truck. Next time I drove it I noticed the light blinking and I switched it off. It didn't engage, since you have to be in 4 Low and the tranny in Neutral, I think. So if you hit it while going down the highway, probably nothing would happen except the light would start blinking.

·
Givin' the dog a bone
Tacoma
125 Posts
How about moving the locker button a few spaces over from the fog light switch? You can just change it out with one of the blanks if the wiring harness is long enough to allow it.

·
Cephasiii
05' Tacoma Prerunner
253 Posts
If your moving less than 5 mph when you hit it, it will engage. If you are moving faster than 5mph then it will NOT engage, I guess it will just blink. I have a prerunner.

·
Registered
'02 Roush Mustang
246 Posts
I was just about to ask about this....
I've got long ass legs, I'm 6'2" ish, and I drove 18 hours total this weekend going to NM to see my parents. I'm just worried that while stretching out and getting comfy my knee will hit it, or somehow hit it on accident if I have my hand down there.
I too have a Prerunner so no 4LO... I just don't want to grenade the rear. But hell, I figure if I'm going to do it I might as well do it while it's under warranty and say it just mysteriously engaged itself :burnout:lol

·
20K...All is good!!!
331 Posts
Questions...Questions...Has anyone moved the locker switch to a different location? Is the wiring long enough? How do you get the switch out??

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
I have a prerunner and i was going 30 and i hit the button for the fog lights and accidently hit the locker button. It locked up and i felt the truck just really hard to make a good turn. I pulled to the side and press the button and it wouldnt turn off. After some time it dis engaged by itself. Dont know why toyota placed it so close to the fog light switch.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I posted this concern a while back--hate to trust a computer to know NOT to engage the locker. Moving switch sounds like a great idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts