Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
HL V6 Ltd 2009
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wonder if TPMS is installed on every Limited (this is Canadian model)?

I just bought one and there is no TMPS reset button (in manual it's shown left-bellow Traction control off button). What will happen if I use winter tires without sensors? Will it just bring this warning light on or something else?

EDIT: I see TP warning light when I switch main switch on (using START BUTTON, I have smart key system).

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes, your vehicle should have TPMS. Your TPMS reset should be located roughly where the manual states. I had difficulty locating it the first time as well, but when I stuck my head under the dash with a flashlight, I found it almost immediately.

Your TPMS sensors are part of the valve stem on your wheels. So if you simply swap out tires on your OEM wheels, you'll be fine. If you change to a winter set of wheels without TPMS sensors, then yes, your TPMS warning light will remain on. No other impact that I am aware of. Many people do this and simply put a piece of black tape on the instrument cluster lense to hide the light, or just live with it on.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Also, you can tell that you have TPMS by looking at your valve stems. Wheels with TMPS (at least on the Toyotas) have metal valve stems. Those without have the rubber valve stems.

·
Registered
HL V6 Ltd 2009
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right! I found it. I wonder who designed it and why they hide it that way :headbang:

Yes, your vehicle should have TPMS. Your TPMS reset should be located roughly where the manual states. I had difficulty locating it the first time as well, but when I stuck my head under the dash with a flashlight, I found it almost immediately.

Your TPMS sensors are part of the valve stem on your wheels. So if you simply swap out tires on your OEM wheels, you'll be fine. If you change to a winter set of wheels without TPMS sensors, then yes, your TPMS warning light will remain on. No other impact that I am aware of. Many people do this and simply put a piece of black tape on the instrument cluster lense to hide the light, or just live with it on.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yeah, they probably don't want people hitting it accidentally.

Also, if you choose to go with another set of wheels for winter and want to have the functionality of your TPMS, you may wish to consider ebay for sensors. I purchased four used OEM sensors with new valve and gasket (essential that these be replaced when swapping to new wheels) for $100....much cheaper than new and they work perfectly.

If you choose to by any TPMS sensors, ensure you write the sensor IDs down, or take a picture of each, BEFORE they are installed so that they can be easily programmed into the computer's ECU.

The only drawback to having two sets of TPMS sensors is that every time you swap out, you have to program the IDs of the tires you're putting on your vehicle back into the HL ECU, and unless you have your own programming tool (eg. ATEQ), then you'll have to get the dealer to do it. Some dealers charge, some don't. If yours does, then you'll have to take that added expense, twice a year, into account.

Cheers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah my light just went on the other day. i inflated the tires, held the reset button and NOTHING. I really do hate these sensors... had them on my Sienna and they failed more than they worked. Anyone have an idea how to reset or disable it altogether?

·
Registered
HL V6 Ltd 2009
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow that's really stupid.... dealer will charge minimum 1hour labor...
I will live without them.

The only drawback to having two sets of TPMS sensors is that every time you swap out, you have to program the IDs of the tires you're putting on your vehicle back into the HL ECU, and unless you have your own programming tool (eg. ATEQ), then you'll have to get the dealer to do it. Some dealers charge, some don't. If yours does, then you'll have to take that added expense, twice a year, into account.

Cheers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
you only need to reset the tpms, if you change the pressure in the tire. in other words if you want the threshold to be say 30 psi, then you inflate all tires to 30psi, and then do the reset, which now sets the thing to 30psi. If you change your tire pressure to say 34psi, then you would again reset it to that threshold. if your light comes on, simply re inflate the affected tire, and the light will go off automatically. no need to reset ever time

·
Registered
684 Posts
wow that's really stupid.... dealer will charge minimum 1hour labor...
I will live without them.
Fully understand. A few folks, me included, have invested in the ATEQ TPM Quickset tool for around $150 so we can reset the ECU ourselves. (Easily pays for itself in a few visits to have the dealer do it, and works on a number of car brands that have TPMS. Depending on how important it is for you to have the TPMS, it may be something to consider. Many see TPMS as a pain in the rear, and it can be to a certain extent. The way I look at it, its there, so I choose the extra expense ($100 sensors + $150 ATEQ) for the little bit of extra peace of mind that it will provide when traveling with my family (ie.tell me if I have a slow leak so I can pull over before the situation gets critical or dangerous). Of course, its not fool proof, but it is something. Different strokes.....

Anyway, there's another thread I started way back with more info on the ATEQ in case you're interested.....

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299107

Cheers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you only need to reset the tpms, if you change the pressure in the tire. in other words if you want the threshold to be say 30 psi, then you inflate all tires to 30psi, and then do the reset, which now sets the thing to 30psi. If you change your tire pressure to say 34psi, then you would again reset it to that threshold. if your light comes on, simply re inflate the affected tire, and the light will go off automatically. no need to reset ever time
None of the tires were low... they were all 32 PSI. However, I put them up to 34 and the light is still on. All read 34 psi... I held the reset button down and nothing changes. Stays a solid "yellow". Anyone have any other ideas how to reset or completely disable?

Does it read the spare even though it is not mounted on a shaft?

·
Registered
684 Posts
None of the tires were low... they were all 32 PSI. However, I put them up to 34 and the light is still on. All read 34 psi... I held the reset button down and nothing changes. Stays a solid "yellow". Anyone have any other ideas how to reset or completely disable?

Does it read the spare even though it is not mounted on a shaft?
Yes, spare also has a sensor. I keep mine inflated at around 36 lbs so that I don't have to check it as often.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I have a stupid question. If I get my tires changed to winter tires from a shop other than toyota dealer, would it affect my warranty in any way? ofcourse I understand that if the tire flies off while driving, toyota wont take the blame. Anything else? thanks in advance

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think I have a stupid question. If I get my tires changed to winter tires from a shop other than toyota dealer, would it affect my warranty in any way? ofcourse I understand that if the tire flies off while driving, toyota wont take the blame. Anything else? thanks in advance
Welcome to Toyota Nation.

Not necessarily a stupid question, but certainly not related at all to this thread. Suggest you start a new thread so as to avoid hijacking this one.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys

Since I am at it, thought of asking one more question from you experts. I own a 2010 HL Hybrid and the tires are 245/55/19. Is it safe to use 235/55/19 winter tires? do i need to change wheels as well?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hi guys

Since I am at it, thought of asking one more question from you experts. I own a 2010 HL Hybrid and the tires are 245/55/19. Is it safe to use 235/55/19 winter tires? do i need to change wheels as well?

Sorry, hate to be a pain, and know I'm not a moderator, but again, your question is completely unrelated to the thread topic. Suggest you search the forum given this has likely already been covered somewhere or start a new thread.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It was the spare tire that was low. Filled it to 35 PSI, turned on the truck, pressed reset and all is well. Thanks for your help I never knew the sensors were "wireless" even when not mounted.

·
Registered
684 Posts
It was the spare tire that was low. Filled it to 35 PSI, turned on the truck, pressed reset and all is well. Thanks for your help I never knew the sensors were "wireless" even when not mounted.

Good stuff, glad it was a simple enough fix! :thumbsup:

In hindsight, having a sensor on the spare is not a bad idea. Forces you to check your spare as well, which before sensors, I rarely did. Life would not be good if you got a flat somewhere and found your spare was low as well. :eek:

Cheers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good stuff, glad it was a simple enough fix! :thumbsup:

In hindsight, having a sensor on the spare is not a bad idea. Forces you to check your spare as well, which before sensors, I rarely did. Life would not be good if you got a flat somewhere and found your spare was low as well. :eek:

Cheers.
Thanks again for your help... I would have NEVER expected the spare to be part of the TPMS system. You know, Toyota's manuals are so helpful... NOT!

·
Registered
'09 Highlander Sport
184 Posts
Yes, you have to drop the spare tire completely to fill it with air. What I usually do with mine is fill the spare with a couple of psi's more than the 4 tires. That way I don't have to fill it with air often.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts