Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 XLE and with roughly 300 miles on since purchase (used - 16K miles), but it seems that out of the blue, I started hearing unusual wind noise at speed when on the FRWY that best resembles bad cross-winds in the cabin. I swear it wasn't there prior. I've read some posts about this wind noise phenomenon with the HL, but is there a solution? It's really annoying at best and really is turning me off about this vehicle.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
765 Posts
There has been reports about wind noises from different location of our HLs, from the chrom trim piece under the passenger side rear mirror to the driver-side mirror mounting area (my case, and only with high cross wind from left to right) of the vehicle, disappears as soon as I change heading slightly) ... Where about do you hear the wind noise from?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There has been reports about wind noises from different location of our HLs, from the chrom trim piece under the passenger side rear mirror to the driver-side mirror mounting area (my case, and only with high cross wind from left to right) of the vehicle, disappears as soon as I change heading slightly) ... Where about do you hear the wind noise from?
Interesting. I wish I could pinpoint where I hear it coming from, but I guess the most obvious would be from the driver side window "area". My dealer suggested the wind ribs on the back side of side mirrors are likely what is causing it, but I beg to differ considering I folded my driver side on the FRWY the other day to test and it made no discernible difference. In my HL, anything above 60MPH (give or take) and it sounds like there's constant strong crosswinds hitting my vehicle, even when it's calm out.

But the bizarre part is that is used to be uber quiet in the cabin and now I'm trying to convince myself that I haven't lost my mind. But nonetheless, it's starting to become a show-stopper to the point that I can't see me holding on to this HL for very long. Pretty pathetic of Toyota.

So yours hasn't been resolved?

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
765 Posts
"Uber quiet"? LOL, problem solved by print a uber sign and stick on the back window. Just kidding just kidding.

But seriously, if you are determined to find the noise source, you might try using painter's tape, tape-up those gaps around the side mirror area (one section at a time to isolate), the chrom trim underneath, the driver-side windshield trim piece and possible even the space between the front door and the front quarter panel...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Uber quiet"? LOL, problem solved by print a uber sign and stick on the back window. Just kidding just kidding.

But seriously, if you are determined to find the noise source, you might try using painter's tape, tape-up those gaps around the side mirror area (one section at a time to isolate), the chrom trim underneath, the driver-side windshield trim piece and possible even the space between the front door and the front quarter panel...
Yep, there's a bunch of YT vids...I put some tape on in some spots so I'll test again when it's dry out on the FRWY.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about a twig or leaf stuck in moon /sun roof seal, if you have one?
Not sure if this was directed at me, but when I looked at the outside of sunroof (top of vehicle), I noticed an area that was bunching up so I tried the best I could with my hands to make it flush. Not sure if it's the culprit, but between it and some taping that I've started, I have some testing to perform to see if I can isoloate it. If I can, then it's just a matter of applying some common sense to resolve it that doesn't involve crazy glue. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
When buying USED one has no idea what may have happened to the vehicle. From unusual noises to rattles and squeaks. Could be anything from the door being out of adjustment from prior damage to a block preventing the window to close completely. Like my friend would say, " it's the story of a used car " meaning the second and subsequent owners inherit problems.
Our HL is super quiet inside, handles like a dream, with six years of usage continues to be one of the finest family vehicle we have ever purchased. We ordered it to our list of options.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When buying USED one has no idea what may have happened to the vehicle. From unusual noises to rattles and squeaks. Could be anything from the door being out of adjustment from prior damage to a block preventing the window to close completely. Like my friend would say, " it's the story of a used car " meaning the second and subsequent owners inherit problems.
Our HL is super quiet inside, handles like a dream, with six years of usage continues to be one of the finest family vehicle we have ever purchased. We ordered it to our list of options.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, but glad that your car is a gem and quiet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts