Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through online pricing it appears that similar mileage 2nd generation Highlanders are $ 5-7k less in price than 3rd gens. (100-120k miles for both gens.)

Other than safety features like blind spot sensor and the technology package that is only available on certain 3rd gens (most of which haven't reached the 100k mark) and includes lane departure warning, radar assisted cruise, and frontal collision prevention, why would someone pay 5-7k more for a third gen?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Looking through online pricing it appears that similar mileage 2nd generation Highlanders are $ 5-7k less in price than 3rd gens. (100-120k miles for both gens.
Similar mileage, but r u comparing same models & same years ?

btw..u got 2 threads going. :confused:

·
Registered
456 Posts
People like the newest, flashiest things. There is also a misconception that newer cars are automatically more reliable. While parts on a car obviously do age, the design of the car and how well it's been maintained are key to reliability, not necessarily some arbitrary number like age or mileage (although they do matter to an extent). That being said, $5-7K difference for a car a few years newer, maybe with some more miles, is perfectly reasonable as all things equal, the newer car will have a longer lifespan ahead of it.

Also, to many, the added safety features may be worthwhile. The 3rd generation also has 8 passenger seating which the 2nd generation doesn't.

If you look at car buying from a practical standpoint - there is nothing wrong with a 2nd generation. If you don't need a 3rd generation, see what kinds of deals you can find on a 2nd generation and save some money!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Similar mileage, but r u comparing same models & same years ?

btw..u got 2 threads going. :confused:
Yes I posted this after looking at gen.2 prices for cars with similar mileage. I am comparing gen 2 and gen 3 vehicles with the same mileage. Not comparing trim levels.
Assuming someone isn't interested in safety features offered by the gen. 3 tech package or other add-ons, I'm wondering why not save 5-7k and get a gen 2 with the same mileage as a gen 3.....

·
Registered
456 Posts
The reason being that age has a big factor to do with future resale value too. Age and mileage both wear out a car. That is the reason that my 2001 Camry with 100K miles is worth $2,600 and my 2001 Camry with 147K miles is worth $2,300. Despite having much fewer miles, the one with 100K miles is still 18 years old and hence not worth much.

If you are talking about a 3-4 year difference, that price may be about right. If only a 1 year difference, then you are right, there is no reason not to buy the 2nd gen and save $5-7K if you don't care much about the newer gen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Part of it is just age; part is that the 3rd-gen design looks a lot more contemporary inside and out (the 2nd gen was released during the brief late-oughts fad of boxy CUVs); and part of it is that the 3rd gen is quieter and rides smoother.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts