Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting frustrated because I can't find the hole, haha, anyways, if anyone can tell me where they have ran their power wire to their amps, let me no.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Look around under the hood, somewhere on the firewall there will be a wire harness about an inch and a half round going through. Pierce this grommet and run your wire through there.

I very very strongly advise against drilling any holes in the firewall unless you know exactally what you are doing. Doing so is just asking for water leaks, wind noise and the possibility of drilling into something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The wire harness is very easy to find... drivers side between fender and power brake assy.... about 6" down from cowl....
but don't use any thing sharp to pierce it.... the first time you go thru it add a pull string for furure use......

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
Whatever you do, don't run it through the door, not only is it unsafe, but it's dangerous. There's a potential for it catching on fire, getting wet, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Troy makes a good point, when passing wires through any body panels it is always best to run the wire through the factory grommets along side teh factory wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you still havent found one, use the grommet right above the steering assembly, pop it through on the lower side, then go out to the hood and look for whatever u popped it with, its pretty high up, this is the ideal spot because it is near the battery and is perfect to run wire around the strut mount, around the filter, and to the battery

·
Registered
27 Posts
probably could, may be tight though. Rule of thumb is if it feels too tight or you have to fight with it to get it to go then probably shouldnt do it. If there is adequate space then teh rubber grommet should have enough give to it. Might lubricate power wire with some silicone spray 1st, probably help it slide through without displaceing teh grommet

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ran 2 ga wire through the factory grommet. Can't see why you could not fit larger. The grommet can be easily accessed by dropping the ECM (three 10mm bolts) behind the glove box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking to run a 4 gage wire from battery through the firewall for my amp. This is the closest post I've seen to getting help. I have a 2005 Scion xA (and I have done this without issue on previous cars). Not sure what models everyone above was using.. I spent some time looking and I don't see any grommets that are not in use. I see 1 on each side of the car but they look rather full - not sure about feedding the 4 gage through...

Any help would be appreciated - Drilling is my last option and I don't want to go there..

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok - well I have no patience to wait for help so I did it based on what I knew so far. I used the grommet above steering on drivers side - 4 gage fit. Wire goes to back of car as needed.... Now I just gotta wire the rest. I bought a wire converter kit at Best Buy and the ahem - thing - is way off - if i plugged it in i probably woulda done damange... Any wire color diagrams for SCION xA standard factory stereo wiring online - or is there a RELIABLE converter to buy?

I see this link for info in CD:
http://www.12voltresource.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3001

and I've seen mention of SCOCHE wire converter...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok - well i am done for the most part..

the converter kit from best buy did help - it just wasn't complete - . but i bought a 3 dollar wire tester to verify the wires. I installed an in-line converter to get RCA jacks and everything is in place - all wires are under carpets - EVERYTHING came apart rather easily and everything is back in place now.. and i have bass again..:clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts