Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Camry XSE
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the top of the line Camry XSE and about a month in I started to notice the passenger door had that “hollow sound” when I closed it.
Brought it to the dealership I purchased and they said they could hear the sound, but could not find anything wrong with it.
Brought it to a second dealership and they said the same thing.
Now about a month after I purchased the car my 12 year gets out of my car and closes the door and immediately apologizes because he thought he slammed the door, which I tell him that he didn’t and there is something wrong with it.
Several times I have had people in my car and they all say the same thing... “you should have that looked at. That doesn’t sound normal!”
I am writing this waiting in the car dealership as I am having them look at it a third time... to which when I discuss with the service manager he says,”oh others have complained and brought in their car with the same complaint.”
So you mean to tell me others are hearing this and Toyota is not fixing the issue?
This is their top of the line Camry and I can’t believe they are not fixing the issue on a $35k car!
Anybody else have any similar issues and have you had the dealership fix them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
1st world problems. Maybe sell it. My wife's 19 XSE v6 (more like 39K) has super lite doors but no big deal for her

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,708 Posts
1. Most people haven't commented that they think that their Camry doors are hollow sounding.
2. It is possible that your car is completely normal. Most car manufacturers have done everything they can to save weight. Carmakers today have literally tried to reduce every single ounce possible in order for weight savings, and therefore energy savings/higher MPG. As a result, the sheetmetal of modern cars is a lot more thin compared to cars a generation ago. This might be part of the "hollowness" you are hearing.
3. I've said this 1000 times... a long test drive and playing with everything before purchase can eliminate a lot of the complaints/is my car broken thoughts. A test drive of a $35,000 car should be several hours long- and include you opening up every door, sitting in every seat, playing with every button, and driving it on all kinds of different roads and in different conditions. It's your hard-earned money. A good consumer always make sure that they are buying a car that they will be happy with for years to come.

It seems like you have a few choices:
A. Live with it, as it is functioning fine.
B. Keep taking it to different dealers until you find one that's willing to take the door apart and investigate- possibly screwing up other things in the process.
C. Sell the car and buy something that's absolutely perfect in every way. That's not going to likely be easy to find in the mainstream midsize sedan category. Every single car forum has posts like this. People who buy a mainstream sedan- expecting top-end Lexus quality despite the Toyota, Honda, Chevy, or Hyundai badge. Realize that although you paid $35,000 for your top-end Camry, they use the same exact doors on the bargain-basement base Camry that's more than $10,000 cheaper. If you think that you'll find better quality with Ford, Chevy, or Honda- you won't. Car buyers in this category have been demanding more and more from their vehicles while also refusing to pay more. As a result, car makers have had to cram more stuff in while cutting corners in ways that they hope that people won't notice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I purchased the top of the line Camry XSE and about a month in I started to notice the passenger door had that “hollow sound” when I closed it.
Brought it to the dealership I purchased and they said they could hear the sound, but could not find anything wrong with it.
Now about a month after I purchased the car my 12 year gets out of my car and closes the door and immediately apologizes because he thought he slammed the door, which I tell him that he didn’t and there is something wrong with it.
Several times I have had people in my car and they all say the same thing... “you should have that looked at. That doesn’t sound normal!”
I am writing this waiting in the car dealership as I am having them look at it a third time... to which when I discuss with the service manager he says,”oh others have complained and brought in their car with the same complaint.”
So you mean to tell me others are hearing this and Toyota is not fixing the issue?
This is their top of the line Camry and I can’t believe they are not fixing the issue on a $35k car!
Mine are the same. That just the nature of what it is - a Toyota, not a Mercedes.

You could take your car to a car audio shop and have them install sound deadener material (ie Dynamat) on the inside of the door. Deadening the sheet metal will take away the "tinny" sound. It's something I had considered doing myself.

·
RX-7 Restorations
18 Camry SE
1,570 Posts
We've had a few complaints about the hollow sounding doors at the dealer since the 8th Gen was released. This is normal unfortunately. Often times you can even hear the door check clicking as you open and close the door. Just depends on the car. My 18 SE doesnt sound terrible when I open and close the doors. As explained above, everything on the 8th Gen was refined and lightened and improved in Toyota's eyes. Some people like a reassuring thud when they close the door. When you close the door in my Porsche 944, it sounds like your closing the door to a tank. No complaints there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There is actually a reason for it and it can be solved for about $35 per door. CAFE standards have caused OEMS to reduce mass. Sound deadening has mass and is an easy target for engineers to look at when putting cars on a diet. All cars are doing it but the Camry and some other Toyota products were very severe compared to prior model years.

The solution, Constrained Layer Damper (CLD). Apply squares of it to the metal in the doors. Apply some to the floor of the car too if you're feeling froggy. You can create a luxury car environment if you choose. It will also improve the stereo system without changing a single component.

For me the CLD is enough but there are a few other components you can use as well. I will be doing a project for a write up here soon. There are different grades of CLD. Sound Deadener Showdown (SDS) was my product of choice but they have closed. I am currently trying a few products. For my Camry project, I'll be using Resonix to treat the rear deck and solve the JBL subwoofer rattle. This should also improve the sound system considerably. I will then be doing the doors and floor later.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
207 Posts
The solution, Constrained Layer Damper (CLD).
+1 for Smitty19XSE

Resonix looks like it may indeed be the successor to SDS, but I have yet to try it. I was sad to see SDS go as the owner retired right after I had purchased the first round of tiles for my Avalon. After some research (Resonix didn't yet exist at that time), I found a really good alternate product which I used instead,... Kno Knoise Kolossus. The link provided is for a two-door kit, but I think that for AlbeeDanceFitness' application this would be enough to make a huge difference even if it were split and used for all four doors. Either of those products are an improvement over (overpriced) Dynamat.

AlbeeDanceFitness, it's really not that difficult to do this yourself. Read through the "doors" how-to page on the old SDS site to see that for a vast improvement you only need partial coverage for substantial improvement. This will fix your "hollow door" sound and make it much quieter. If you decide to do it, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. It will only take a few hours of your time and you'll enjoy the benefits for the life of your car.

·
Registered
672 Posts
For me the CLD is enough but there are a few other components you can use as well. I will be doing a project for a write up here soon. There are different grades of CLD. Sound Deadener Showdown (SDS) was my product of choice but they have closed. I am currently trying a few products. For my Camry project, I'll be using Resonix to treat the rear deck and solve the JBL subwoofer rattle. This should also improve the sound system considerably. I will then be doing the doors and floor later.
Not sure what happened with SDS, but years ago it was a strictly educational site where Don tested a bunch of different CLD materials. At some point he started selling product and at that time wiped out all the old testing from his site.

I've been doing stereo upgrades in my cars for 20+ years, but only recently did my first complete sound treatment in my other car (03 Acura CL) as part of a full interior swap and stereo upgrade. I stripped the whole interior and trunk down to metal including the floor and headliner, started with Kilmat as my CLD layer (30-40% coverage where needed) then on top of that used Noico CCF (close to 100% coverage) and then a solid layer of Trademark Soundproofing MLV on top of that. I also sealed off the rear seat back and parcel shelf for a dual-15 IB install firing through the ski-pass. Since I had extra interior panels and extra factory insulation, I doubled up a lot of it behind the door cards, pillars, etc. It was a massive project, took me over a week working a couple hours each day.

The improvement was significant. The doors close with a solid thud and no ringing. It is really quiet inside the car with the windows up, and even without swapping any components, I noticed improvements in the sound of the stereo especially at cruising speed. The main source of noise now seems to be the windows, and there ain't much you can do about that, heh. The stereo is still in-progress, right now I'm testing out tweeters in the A-pillars for a few weeks before I decide if I want them there.

All that being said, I'm glad I did it but I don't think I'd do it again. I did treat the Camry doors when I swapped speakers, and it helped, but I don't think I'll ever do the whole car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
+1 for Smitty19XSE

I was sad to see SDS go as the owner retired right after I had purchased the first round of tiles for my Avalon. After some research (Resonix didn't yet exist at that time), I found a really good alternate product which I used instead,... Kno Knoise Kolossus. The link provided is for a two-door kit, but I think that for AlbeeDanceFitness' application this would be enough to make a huge difference even if it were split and used for all four doors. Either of those products are an improvement over (overpriced) Dynamat.

Same here. I am planning to try the KnuKonceptz in my 4runner build which is getting a whole system.... But, knowing me, if the Resonix works as good or better than the SDS, I may just stay with it.

With the Camry, I'm only doing the CLD in key places along with some minor "Safe'n'Sound" and CCF. No MLV or any major stuff.

·
Registered
127 Posts

The improvement was significant. The doors close with a solid thud and no ringing. It is really quiet inside the car with the windows up, and even without swapping any components, I noticed improvements in the sound of the stereo especially at cruising speed. The main source of noise now seems to be the windows, and there ain't much you can do about that, heh...
That's my goal with my Camry. Road noise is worse than previous gen Camrys and it kills the frequency response in the mid-range. We have the JBL and the sub makes the "rear deck rattle", but the doors go mute when in motion. It's not the kind of stereo I want but it's not offensive sounding...it almost rises above "meh" to "not too bad" when stopped.

I'm not going all out into the diminishing returns area but I do hope to get it more comfortable and the stereo to listenable.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
207 Posts
With the Camry, I'm only doing the CLD in key places along with some minor "Safe'n'Sound" and CCF. No MLV or any major stuff.

I too used some strategically placed CCF. I used Vibro 1/4" where needed (nice stuff, by the way) and a fair amount of butyl rope in my Avalon. I've got MLV ready to go but haven't gotten around to putting it in yet. My car is pretty quiet with the windows closed but I'd like to eliminate some of the tire noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2020 Camry XSE that the wind noise at the drivers door/window is absolutely horrific at anything over 50 mph. I'm getting a similar run around from both Toyota and the Dealership. "They All Seem To Do It" seems to be the typical explanation from Toyota. This is my first Toyota and most likely my last. The quality absolutely sucks. It had to be towed in after two months because the battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge. Thank goodness we also have a Buick. At least we still have something safe for the highway because it sure isn't the Toyota!

·
Registered
23 Posts
At least we still have something safe for the highway because it sure isn't the Toyota!
Toyota has been among the most reliable and safest brands for years all over the world.
You are one of millions of customers, for everyone single problem car there are thousands of satisfied owners.
Want to try out BMW? I did, and trust me, they are worse. A lot worse.

As for wind noise, I got rid of the BMW because of it (and countless other quality issues). Numerous people complained since day one, BMW didn't care.
In comparison, my Camry is silent.
Maybe Japan built ones have superior quality… :giggle:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Toyota has been among the most reliable and safest brands for years all over the world.
You are one of millions of customers, for everyone single problem car there are thousands of satisfied owners.
Want to try out BMW? I did, and trust me, they are worse. A lot worse.

As for wind noise, I got rid of the BMW because of it (and countless other quality issues). Numerous people complained since day one, BMW didn't care.
In comparison, my Camry is silent.
Maybe Japan built ones have superior quality… :giggle:
I have had 50 vehicles in my life. New, used, sedans, coupes, convertibles, hatchbacks, pickups and suv's. The only thing I have never had is a traditional "station wagon". Out of these 50 cars, 1 of them was a BMW, all I can say is NEVER AGAIN. Worst car ever almost bankrupted me LITERALLY! ! 8 Toyota's with total accumulated mileage just shy of 950,000 and 1 out of pocket repair! Never heard anyone make that claim with BMW.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The external panel of my Camry’s doors visibly vibrated when the doors closed. I used SDS’s CLD tiles and butyl rubber rope between the door skin and side impact bar. I also added Thinsulate 600 SML to the door card and extra weather striping around the door. No more vibration, the closing sound is better, and the car is quieter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts