Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
02 Tundra / 92 Buick PA
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two months ago, the brakes were done in the front. When they pushed the calipers in, it filled the brake system with contaminants. The brake reservoir fluid was pitch black when I double checked it. I did the band-aid thing by sucking everything out three weekends in a row but I knew the whole system would have to flush clean. I should have done it then but the brakes have been working great so I've been putting it off. That and because there were no funds to take the old girl into the 'stealership'. But the old girl must know that I have money coming in this evening because for the first time the brakes gave me problems this afternoon. While I was out running around town, the speed limit for the road was 55 and the traffic was going about 60 to 62. Then I had to do a panic stop. Thank God the moron moved over because the Tundra wasn't stopping. It was like the truck was on ice! I'm sure it's the contaminants in the system and maybe even some air. It took more than three times the normal stopping distances to come to a complete stop and it really scared me. Not sure how long to took for my heart to start beating again and for my butt to let go of seat. It was about ten minutes later that I got home and the braked still smelled really hot. Sooooo, first thing in the morning I will see about going to the dealership to have the brake system flushed and have the brake work doubled checked! I'm also wondering what brand of brake pads were used for the job. I'll update here what the service writer or technician tells me what's going on under there. Damn I hate not being able to do even the easiest of jobs on the vehicles! My back/hip/left leg and age just do not let me do much anymore. That and the oppressive heat, humidity, and it being bug-central around here. Maybe I can do more when I move back to El Paso.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,812 Posts
How many miles are on the vehicle? Has the brakes been serviced before this? Has the brake lines ever been replaced? Has the calipers been rebuilt or replaced before? I'm suspecting bad brake lines or even some debris inside the calipers that might have been pushed into the brake lines and settling on top of the inlet port of the calipers thus making it near to impossible to push brake fluid to the caliper piston.

·
Registered
02 Tundra / 92 Buick PA
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tundra has almost a 107K on it and to the best on my knowledge, the brakes haven't been touched. The brakes are working aside from the one panic stop. It's pretty clear to me that the pads are cheaply made crap and overheated during that stop. The first plan was to use the Tundra to tow the Buick PA to El Paso. That's now off the table and the Tundra is going be transported to El Paso as we drive the Buick. Not my best choice but money wise, we need to wait until we get to El Paso to work on the truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts