Toyota Nation Forum banner

Homelink Programming Issues

73K views 55 replies 31 participants last post by  Dante's Taco 
#1 ·
I’ve tried everything under the sun to get my homelink programmed but it’s not working. Both “point and aim” and rolling code programming is leaving me frustrated.

Anyone else have issues/advice?

#2 ·
Press the homelink buttons 1 & 3 for about 10 secs to clear all codes. After that get garage remote and press the open or close button and immediately press homelink button one and hold it. Make sure garage remote is right underneath the mirror. You will see the red light flash slow and when it's programed, it will begin to flash fast. Repeat the same thing for the other remotes. Usually gate remotes for apartment complexes don't work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I’m about to put my fist through the windshield.

I’ve cleared all codes with button 1 & 3.

Then every time I press button 1 whilst holding my garage button I just get a slow blinking amber light. Same thing happens when I use the “learn” button on my garage motor.

I’m in the US

#47 ·
I fought this just today on my 23 LE.
1st I hit learn on open and hold #1 on car. Would always slow blink amber and not work. Then i read training the car. I had opener remote in one hand and and finger on mirror hit both at same time. Then light flashed green fast. Then I went and hit learn button on opener. And held #1 on car for 2 seconds. Light glazed twice on opener. Then it worked.

#10 ·
Was the Camry the last vehicle to get programed after you programed the remotes over with the Suburu? Just want to make sure you didn't program the Camry and then go back and reprogram the remotes with the garage because by then the codes would be different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Negative. I haven’t tried in several months. Toyota told me they have no way to check if it’s faulty, but in fairness, I didn’t offer any pushback to the service department. After my travel, I’ll revisit this next week. Let me know if you figure anything out.

#33 ·
2017 Toyota Tacoma (Canadian) TRD Sport
Older Craftsman 1/2HP (Manufactured 2003)

Reset the Tacoma Homelink system with buttons 1 and 3 for about 20-30 seconds
Result: When I pushed the #1 Homelink button I’d get a blinking orange light, wether I held it or let it go. If pushed it again it would stop blinking.

I reset the Craftsman garage door opener by holding the learn for about 20-30 seconds (mostly to ensure the memory was not full. I read that that’s a thing so I wanted to eliminate that as an issue).

At this point, I tried pairing using the learn button and pressing the Homelink button with every sequence I could think of:
1. Long Press until the garage door opener light blinks a few times (works fine on my older Nissan vehicles)
2. Short 2-3 sec multiple presses (well over 5 times within the 30 sec learn window)
3. Long presses mixed with short presses

I gave up and tried agaian a few days later....no joy.

Then I decided to try the scenario where they hold a remote garage door control pressed under the mirror while pressing the Homelink button. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Find the old remote control garage door opener (that probably never gets used) and put a new battery in.
2. Pair it to the garage door opener. On my unit I press the learn button and press the remote door opener button within 30 seconds (it paired like my Nissan Homelink does)
3. Jump in the Tacoma and hold the remote garage door opener underneath the mirror. Press and hold the remote garage door opener button then simultaneously press and hold the Homelink button number 1 (or whatever button you are programming). At this point the Homelink started rapidly flashing green. This was different from every other attempt.
4. Jump out, press the garage door opener learn button
5. Jump back in and press and hold the Tacoma Homelink button (within 30 sec of pressing the learn button)

I couldn’t believe it...it doesn’t make sense why it can’t just learn directly from the learn button on the garage door opener...but it worked and the garage door light flashed! The Tacoma Homelink now opens the garage door. So, there is something important about using a remote garage door opener that seems to be required in the Tacoma that is not required on my ‘08 and ‘06 Nissan vehicles. Maybe it’s something to do with the Tacoma being newer and the door opener being older. Who knows...don’t really care now that it work. Good Luck!

#16 ·
Finally got it!

I struggled with this as well for about 2 hours (which is long for an IT guy). Here is what I have:
  • 2019 Toyota Highlander Limited
  • Genie Pro ScrewDrive

Here are the steps I used to get it to work:
  • Clear HomeLink with buttons 1 & 3
  • Train HomeLink button with an existing hand-held garage door opener (before trying to train)
  • THEN, press the train button on the Genie, and go back in and do the press-hold HomeLink button, 2 sec, release, repeat twice

The link I used to follow this process was directly from the Toyota support site, you cannot skip the hand-held garage door opener holding a few inches away before trying to directly use the train feature on the garage door opener. Here are a couple of links, follow these to a tee and it works:

https://homelink.com/program/instru...543/144/0/0/39/0/4/intellicode1/0/0/usenglish
https://homelink.com/toyota (Select the "Genie" training video)

I went through all of the same things listed in this thread below, and the above is the only thing that worked for me. Hope this helps someone!

#18 ·
I struggled with this as well for about 2 hours (which is long for an IT guy). Here is what I have:
  • 2019 Toyota Highlander Limited
  • Genie Pro ScrewDrive

Here are the steps I used to get it to work:
  • Clear HomeLink with buttons 1 & 3
  • Train HomeLink button with an existing hand-held garage door opener (before trying to train)
  • THEN, press the train button on the Genie, and go back in and do the press-hold HomeLink button, 2 sec, release, repeat twice

The link I used to follow this process was directly from the Toyota support site, you cannot skip the hand-held garage door opener holding a few inches away before trying to directly use the train feature on the garage door opener. Here are a couple of links, follow these to a tee and it works:

https://homelink.com/program/instru...543/144/0/0/39/0/4/intellicode1/0/0/usenglish
https://homelink.com/toyota (Select the "Genie" training video)

I went through all of the same things listed in this thread below, and the above is the only thing that worked for me. Hope this helps someone!
Thank you! After futzing with my opener and homelink buttons for about 45 minutes, I found this thread and finally got it to work by following your instructions.

#17 ·
I've tried mine a few times with no luck. I'm in Canada so it is different instructions than US, but I've tried both and it's not working. Pretty annoying tbh. It would be nice to not have to carry the garage remote with me everywhere when there is a button on my rearview that would do the same (if I could get it working)

#19 · (Edited)
I printed "lunarlogic" instructions and put them in the manual at the appropriate page. I also discovered that I was not using enough force when pushing the button on the bottom of the mirror when testing after programming it. My 2011 Avalon needed a low-pressure touch so I may have lengthened by frustration needlessly. Thank you; I was almost at BigOak's stage.

#20 ·
I used the directions in the owners manual with no issues. The problem is that people were skipping the hand held garage opener step. You need the hand held garage opener for it to work. "...but on my other car it didn't need the hand hel....". That's Awesome!, but guess what, you need it for this one.

#21 ·
I’ve tried everything under the sun to get my homelink programmed but it’s not working. Both “point and aim” and rolling code programming is leaving me frustrated.

Anyone else have issues/advice?
This worked for me. You have to perform the final step by pushing the program button on your Genie and the run like wind and push whichever Homelink button in your car that you want to use, repeatedly. I had to get on a ladder to reach my program button and I'm not very graceful. This could have made America's funniest videos....

Intellicode 2 – General Instructions
  1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash, which may take up to 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. You will now need to train HomeLink to the Genie transmitter. If any of the buttons on your Genie transmitter is in Intellicode 1 mode (red LED), skip steps 3 & 4 and use that button in step 5. If all buttons on your Genie transmitter are in Intellicode 2 mode (green LED), you must proceed to step 3.
  3. Press and hold an unused Genie button on the transmitter for 10 seconds (LED changes from green to green/red).
  4. Press the same button two times to turn the LED off. The transmitter button should now be in Intellicode 1 mode (red LED).
  5. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.) Note the Genie transmitter will transmit for up to 30 seconds. If HomeLink hasn’t trained within 30 seconds, the Genie transmitter will need to be pressed again. Wait approximately 3 seconds until the led turns off before pressing the button again.
  6. To continue programming HomeLink to the Genie opener, go to the garage door motorhead. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
  7. Press and hold the PROGRAM button (square button) on the Genie motorhead until both blue LEDs turn on.
  8. Release the PROGRAM button. The round blue LED should now be on and the long LED should be flashing purple. If the long LED is off, press and release the PROGRAM button again, and the long LED should now be flashing purple. You now have 30 seconds in which to complete the next two steps.
  9. Get back in your vehicle and press (hold for 2 seconds) and release the trained HomeLink button. Repeat (up to 3 times) until the door moves. Programming is complete.

#40 ·
None of this is working for me.
2022 Camry XSE. Linear garage door, USA.
I have cleared out the whole garage door memory, I bought a new branded remote, I tried the 3 original remotes, I’ve replaced batteries, I’ve parked in garage- outside of grange. Nothing.. nothing. Works.

#41 ·
None of this is working for me.
2022 Camry XSE. Linear garage door, USA.
I have cleared out the whole garage door memory, I bought a new branded remote, I tried the 3 original remotes, I’ve replaced batteries, I’ve parked in garage- outside of grange. Nothing.. nothing. Works.
I should note, Chevy, Tesla, Jeep, Ram. No issues. They have all paired with ease.

#45 ·
After several hours of trying, it is now my opinion that you cannot program the homelink without first doing the hand held garage opener step first. Unfortunately, for me who has been opening my garage doors with a car's remote for more that 10 years, finding the handheld was a major chore. This was a small minus for my new Highlander.