Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
01 Corolla CE white
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure odds are good that some of you own or have owned a Honda car.

Many years of Fit production vs only a few somewhat troubled Matrix years, and
a desire for a hatchback--are what have me looking.

I was thinking of buying a first/second Gen Fit and was reading a bit on their forum.
Some issues--combustion chamber cracks & spark plug helicoil-ing for starters--have me
a bit fearful.

As a (2001) Corolla owner, will I be sorry to own a Honda? Some of the packaging seems
a bit crowded. (Little experience nosing around a 2001 Civic & 2015 Fit.)

Thank you.

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,319 Posts
I haven't personally owned a Honda but a lot of my family has and I've worked on plenty. They are good cars but just like any other manufacturer, some models will have their problems.

For instance, there were the late 90's to early 2000's Honda's that would blow up their auto transmissions (my uncle owned two 2nd gen Odysseys and they lasted 300,000-400,000 kms until the transmissions started acting up), some of the K series engines that would burn a bit of oil, and even the more recent Honda turbo engines that are having problems with fuel and oil dilution. But even manufactures like Toyota run into a few problems at times like the 2AZ and early 1ZZ engines that burned oil or the early C59 manual transmissions that would blow up. These things happen to every manufacturer and as long as you're educated about them and know which particular model generations/model years to avoid, you won't run into these problems.

However, Honda's and Toyota's in general are very reliable cars and will last you for a long time with even just decent maintenance. I just met someone recently who has 500,000kms on his 2nd gen Honda Fit and the engine only lasted ~440,000kms because he supercharged it (and even so, the engine worked another ~40,000kms until it blew). As far as the spark plug shooting out issue, it seems you may just have to torque them to the proper amount and when looking for a Fit, make sure to check that the car isn't showing signs of one being loose/shot out.

So yeah, you can't go wrong with either a Toyota or Honda. I personally prefer Toyota's more but that's just personal preference.

·
Registered
19 Corolla HB
61 Posts
i owned a 2004 Honda Pilot. Had an issue with the radio but other than that it was fine. I really think it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other when it comes to Honda and Toyota. Both are solid choices. It's all in what you like.

I drove a new Fit. I actually liked it, and considered it, but it didn't have the good deals like the Civic did. The Civic didn't work out for me, so the search went on until I found the Corolla Hatchback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts