Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that Honda's have such a huge aftermarket following compared to any other manufacturer? Is it because of a decent ballance between price and quality? What started the Honda Civic trend and not the 'Corolla' trend?

Jeff

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Cause it is a cheap car that most parents are willing to buy their teenagers. Therefore... a few people slap on annoying ass exhausts.... and start a trend. Then they read in a magazine about a 700hp Civic... and suddenly think their car is the shit. So they buy up body kits and huge wings.... and the trend grows and grows.... and companies realize... hey "lets make some money off of these clowns". And so on and so forth...

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but the same thing essentially could have happened with toyota aswell but never did. was it because they never had a decent car when they needed it?

·
Traitor
332 Posts
ishcoleobo said:
Cause it is a cheap car that most parents are willing to buy their teenagers. Therefore... a few people slap on annoying ass exhausts.... and start a trend. Then they read in a magazine about a 700hp Civic... and suddenly think their car is the shit. So they buy up body kits and huge wings.... and the trend grows and grows.... and companies realize... hey "lets make some money off of these clowns". And so on and so forth...
well said...I know a kid with a civic...and he put 5 grand of cosmetic enhancements into his car....it doesnt look too ricey but he boostin over the winter so that give his car some go to go along with the show

·
Always Bored
1994 Celica GTS
267 Posts
A long time ago the main imports to soup up where actually toyotas but they lost the market to honda

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
Hatch said:
but the same thing essentially could have happened with toyota aswell but never did. was it because they never had a decent car when they needed it?
actually toyota was going a different route. they were more into racing and what not.
a 1972 corolla te27 with a 2tc motor(which could be replaced with a 2tg) is still used for racing to this day. the problem is we never got the bad ass motors to play with so toyota didn't take off like honda did.
also honda was a motorcycle company first then became a car company with 2cylinder cars when there was a gas shortage. so they took off cause they were the ultimate economy car.

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Hondas are practically Lego cars so you can usually design and sell one part that would fit and work on 75% of the rest of the models.

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well no not really, because there is still TONS of accessories for differnt models....im basicly trying to narrow it down to why people choose honda over other manufactuers for aftermarket accessoires

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
im basicly trying to narrow it down to why people choose honda over other manufactuers for aftermarket accessoires
Good marketing, a marketing campaign more pushed towards young people. Whilst toyota has a campaign thats towards a more mature group. You know, making Vtec sound like something straight from the race crowds (infact racecars dont use variable valvetiming), but an average Joe wont know that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm I Drive both so...I guess my opinion semi-biased due to the fact that my "Honduh" is my daily driver...BA4 is the chassis code of the 3rd gen Prelude...if you think corolla's have poor aftermarket, you'll cry when you see the after market for this car. Maybe back in the day it was better but now all the aftermarkets parts made are of shitty quality...everything has been discontinued and it has become so bad that BA4 owners have started to fab up parts and sell them worldwide...There are no big companies that create parts for this car...I'll admit the Civic gets a lot of aftermarket attention, due to the fact that well maybe it's one of the easiest cars to take and make it hit 12 seconds...Slap a turbo onto a gutted hatch and you have yourself a car running low 1/4 mile times...and when people started to see this they went crazy at the thought of being able to go so fast for so cheap and then the aftermarket parts were just in demand so thats what brings us to such a large aftermarket for civic...but by no means do all honda's have huge aftermarket parts available...

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
Yes... have you guys ever walked into a Honda dealership? They sell aftermarket tail lights, intakes, exhausts and so much more. Whats up with that? I don't know any other manufacturer who does that.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i personally think they have a bigger aftermarket because thats what honda lacks. but now these 04 civic coupes are pretty. look at the 91's and older versions they look weird. small wierd little headlights and taillights. Overall small underportional car. i guess thats why some people get fender flares and what not. I personally don't see many reasons why you should add a kit to any toyota because they look great already. even tho i'm a big accord fan.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Have you guys ever seen Acura's version of the civic... i forget what it's called... bdeuce posted a link a while back. Much nicer than the us civic.

·
Registered
445 Posts
bowlofturtle said:
i personally think they have a bigger aftermarket because thats what honda lacks. but now these 04 civic coupes are pretty.
I agree, I like the look of my 04 coupe:) Miss all the mods on the corolla though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
hondas are good cars its just the people that buy those dam civics and rice them up its sad really thats why when people think of a crx or a civic they think of rice because there cheap and people buy them and fuk them up

1 - 20 of 30 Posts