Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 highlander XLE, 2012 highlander se, 2009 camry se
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I was bamboozled today and didnt know big toyota dealerships like Right Toyota of Scottsdale engage in this type of practice.

I went online looking for a 3rd gen HL to replace my current 2012, I found a nice 2016 with low mileage and AWD that I was looking for. Message the guy and dealer, he told me they still had it and asked if I'd be in there today. No, you guys are too far to travel today.

So the next day saturday morning bright and early, we head to the dealer to find that the vehicle was sold within the hour that they had been open. That was 1 of 3 2016 HL's that were listed by this dealership and they had none of them.

The sales rep tried asking me about buying a 2018, then leasing one. This didnt go in his favor, I been around too long to be tricked by the bait and switch tactic. I ended up leaving in disbelief a toyota dealer has to come to this.

Just wanted to share my experience today to see if others have witnessed the same interactions elsewhere?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience today to see if others have witnessed the same interactions elsewhere?
Yes, happens all the time. Their philosophy is to get you into the dealership.

Even happens on new cars with regard to color and trim options (at least before the days when you check their inventory on the Internet). I once called a dealer 50 miles away about a new car with a specific trim and color, and a salesman told me on the phone they had it. About 90 minutes later when I got there, there was no such car, and taking to a different salesman he said they had not sold any of that model yet for the day, so I am quite sure the original sales guy I talked to on the phone just lied to get me to the dealership.

·
7,292 Posts
A telephone (derived from the Greek: τῆλε, tēle, "far" and φωνή, phōnē, "voice", together meaning "distant voice"), or phone, is a telecommunications device that permits two or more users to conduct a conversation when they are too far apart to be heard directly.

It is commonly available and used to call a business to find out, if sought item is still available.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A telephone (derived from the Greek: τῆλε, tēle, "far" and φωνή, phōnē, "voice", together meaning "distant voice"), or phone, is a telecommunications device that permits two or more users to conduct a conversation when they are too far apart to be heard directly.

It is commonly available and used to call a business to find out, if sought item is still available.
We set an appointment the following morning, and I text him that evening about it. The vehicle price changed and I was skeptic. He reassured me nobody was coming in for that model and that it was still available. He also reassured me the price from earlier would be honored. All lies to get me to come into their dealership, so a phone call doesnt Matter if they are just going to lie about it anyway. Reading their reviews seems they do this often and others take the bait

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny thing that happened while waiting inside this dealership; behind me 2 employees started arguing. They werent trying to be quiet either and my 10 ear old daughter was with me. If they had no shame while I was there, I wonder what it is like when no customers are around. The professionalism just isn't there. There are 3 other toyota dealers around my area that I've had good experiences with, this one happen to not be that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts