Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed hood pins and it dawned on me that I need to protected the exposed spots (where I drilled the holes) with something since the stainless steel latch only covers the holes but doesnt provide a water tight seal. The hood is a black aftermarket replacement (car to be painted soon) so can i simply sand and spraypaint the small area under the latch or is there something else I need to apply to it?

Thanks in advance

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
you can just use those little touch up paint thingies....use the paint, and then use some clearcoat and make sure that there's no exposed metal on either side...

but why do you have hood pins? does the latch not work properly on the aftermarket hood?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put hood pins on 2 days after I forgot to latch my hood pulling onto the highway from an Autozone. You dont need a vivid imagination to guess what happened next. I was thinking about doing it anyway because my car was spending more time with the hood up than with it down (starting to do serious engine mods).

So all I need is one of those paint pens to cover the edge of the hole from the drill and then some clear coat, huh? I wonder if they have clear coat pens?

thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Trust me guys, that hood flow off like a peice of paper! Hood struts werent even a factor. And the hinge came apart at the joint. I wasnt even on the highway yet. Just starting on the ON ramp. It's funny when I think of it now. The hood was airborne for a good 10 seconds! All I was thinking when I was looking in the rear view was "where is it?" then 'thump'. Crumpled piece of metal. Looking at I now, I am sure it was an aftermarket and remarkable light. Carbon fiber wieght at a 5th of the price!
But just to be safe I am still using the orginal latch.

The hood pins do give it a sporty look. As for the engine mods... yeah, Im about to get really serious under there. Engine and Trans upgrade within the next 3 months, Front supension overhaul in a week or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts