Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone bought or installed a bug deflector/hood protector? I am wondering about getting one I have gotten 3 large chips on the leading edge of the hood since July. If anyone was interested could we arrange a group buy with someone?

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Welcome to TN!

If you were local I'd give you mine! Or if I had a box big enough to send it to you?

The VS Bugflector II dammaged the paint on the leading edge of my hood. that's why I took it off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the wade oe and have not had any problems withthe leading edge on the hood there is a little clearance with the wade oe. I think I got it off amazon.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
I've also read about damaged paint - but I'm curious how they were mounted.

I had a 'lund' (If I remember correctly) on my 96. It was screwed to the underside of the hood and never came in contact with the outside of the hood or the edge.

Toku - how was yours mounted? Was it that tight up againest the paint?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tried the avs bugflector II and it would not even fit my 08 the thing was rubbing all on the hood and the holes underneath did not even line up. The wade I have the mounting holes are elongated to allow a much better fit.

·
Registered
o
174 Posts

I had a 'lund' (If I remember correctly) on my 96. It was screwed to the underside of the hood and never came in contact with the outside of the hood or the edge.

If it was the toyota one, there are 5 clips that you put on the leading edge of the hood. They give you these little strips of clear vinyl to put on before you put the clips on. Then you screw the deflector to the clips. I haven't taken mine off to see if the paint's damaged, but I am having the clear bra installed on Wednesday, so I'll find out then.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts

All the bug deflectors mount the same way they mount under the hood. Sure some of the hole may need adjusting? But the area that Will be the issue is where the leading edge of the hood is.

the deflector doesn't touch the top surface of the hood.
And for the most part you'll never know if the deflector is doing any damage unless you actually remove it.
The leading edge pinches the AVS plastic. Or clips whichever yours maybe?
Pinches between the front grill and the hood. The damage actually occurs on the underside of the leading edge.
So there would be no way to visually check for damage as time goes by, as long as the deflector is installed.

The only way to check is the remove the deflector and visually inspect.

But if you put it on and rarely open your hood? This may increase the time before some damage will appear.

But make no mistake. The fit between the hood and grill is tight even without anything pinched between it.

The AVS plastic is about 1/8" thick. Try and stick a butter knife between there and close the hood. (The butter knife isn't as thick) and rock it back and forth, it will chip off paint. (I know this is extreme but this is exactly what will happen over time.)

I know many out there are just like me!

I didn't believe it!

Until I installed my grill craft and just for shit and giggles wanted to see how it looked with out the deflector.

Thats when I found the damage.:disappoin:disappoin

By then it was too late.

But live and learn!:thumbup::thumbup::clap::clap:

Good Luck!;):D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like the word of the group is the deflector does more damage than it protects. The clear bra sounds more like the better option. Any thoughts or suggestions of where to get one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
bug protector

Just took off the oem deflector that was a crappy design. Bought and installed the stampede LP bug deflector. Wow, well worth the money. Doesn't touch the hood. Looks sleek and only cost $45... Highly recommend...

·
Registered
163 Posts
OEM deflector. no problem with paint, easy install about 30 minutes, Just follow the directions. I'd use a bra but my truck have titties!!!:D:D

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Always make sure to keep an eye on the very front edge of the hood, just barely on the underside. That's where you'll have the problems.

·
the noblest
324 Posts
ya the deflector does more damage than good, when taking it off i also noticed chipped paint on every area where the clips were on the edge of the hood. i used a touch up paint pen but still not the same :sosad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another issue not discussed is that when I installed my bug deflector on my Ranger (Lund) it cost me at least 1 MPG and possibly 2. I would imagine a bra would not cause such a drastic reduction of fuel economy. After I busted my second one I just left it off altogether. I'm trading it on a 2009 Tacoma if it ever gets here and I don't plan to put one on there either.

·
FREE CITIZEN
Tacoma 06 DC TRD OR
496 Posts
Same here with my old Ranger, paint was chipped all under the leading edge.

I noticed it after it broke and took it off until I could replace it and bam I got hit with the bad news about the paint, just 1yr with it and the paint was ruined, touched up and didn't bought another.

My Taco will never see one!!!:thumbsdow

·
Lady in Red
1,515 Posts
I have a Wade and when I took it off after a year for polishing/waxing I had two maybe 1/2 inch areas under the edge of the hood that had rubbed the red off (but base coat still on). I retouched the two spots and when I reinstalled I used a small piece of black gaffer's tape to protect there. Nothing will go thru gaffer's tape! While I had the Wade off for two weeks I got a big chip in my hood so there was no question it was going back on. I don't believe I have any loss of mileage with mine as I get awfully good mileage with it on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts