Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
For anyone that has the weathertech hood deflector, can you tell me if it fits fairly snug to the hood? Is it similar to the toyota OEM? I have seen some deflectors that leave a rather large gap between hood and deflector and I'm not terribly keen about how that looks.

thanks.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I got my Weathertech and it was damaged out of the package so never got it on the vehicle. Still waiting for replacement, and its been a hassle. But, I have had hood deflectors for 10+ years and only once have I had it crack because my son dropped the handle of a snow shovel on it when it was -20 C outside.

That said, my vehicles never see the inside of an automatic car wash so I can't comment in that regard.

BTW, there are some less expensive alternatives. This is only one suggestion....I'm sure there are plenty of other on-line sites as well:

http://www.autoanything.com/deflectors/10A10002.aspx

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the Weathertech on mine since June. Absolutely no problems. I use automatic car washes most of the time with no damage. Also, it fits like a glove with no mods necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer a clear bra. Can do the hood 18" deep and fender for only $150.00 Looks much better and guaranteed to match your paint color.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I just got a 2009 Highlander Sport 4x4 in Magnetic grey and looking at the clear bra paitn protection or hood deflector?

Anyone have the clear bra paint protection on their currently and how does it work? Also how does the hood deflector work as well for you if you have it installed as well...

·
Registered
684 Posts
I got my Weathertech installed late last week, so have had it on for only 3 or 4 days, but so far so good. Have used hood protectors for 9 years and no problem. I looked at the clear film option, but up here, it was far to expensive to have it professionally installed. Also, wasn't keen on the look....I found the sheen different on the film than on the painted surface, and I keep my vehicle polished most of the time. Plus, I have a Black HL, so the hood deflector does not stand out as it might on light coloured vehicles.

It comes down to your exposure to bugs, rocks, etc that could damage your paint. Hood protector will only protect your hood for the most part. If bugs are the only concern, and you maintain (wax and wash)your vehicle, bugs can be washed off. If you're exposed to lots of debris (rocks, sand etc.) on the road, you may want to consider the clear protective film. You may also want to do some research...I read that some films are have changed colour slightly after a period of time, which would be very noticeable on light colored cars...ie white.

Cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Ventureshield clear bra installed on my Highlander when I first bought it and love it. www.ventureshield.com They have a lifetime guarantee and won't yellow. It covers the front part of my hood, front bumper, headlights, mirrors, and inner doors. Zero rock chips so far while driving in the various weather conditions in the Northwest. Not much of a point to post pics since you have to look hard to see it or maybe if it was dusty. Just wish they could apply it on windshields since I have a cracked windshield from a rock hitting it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought mine from AutoZone for $54. Three days. Smoked. It looks great on my Black Highlander. They do have clear. I haven't taken pics of my Highlander yet (still waiting to get my fogs installed).

I ordered the 4-pc. side shields from WeatherTech. They look nice and I CAN roll down the window now without all that air pressure hurting my ears. Only thing is the front ones do make a noise when you roll the window all the way back up and also they actually sit on the sill near the mirror so it is important to situate them correctly so they don't move when rolling up/down window.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Humm, this clearbra film is all new to me.. is one company better than the other in manufacturers?

I have heard of now the 3M and Ventureshield options...

got a price quote for the 3M product.
covers:

1) bumper
2) side mirrors
3) front fenders
4) part of hood

cost is $625 has 5 year guarantee as well.. Good bad or keep looking more... I live out here in LALA land los Angeles area...

·
Now - 2011 Explorer Ltd
376 Posts
Protection or Deflection

Well, I just got a 2009 Highlander Sport 4x4 in Magnetic grey and looking at the clear bra paitn protection or hood deflector?

Anyone have the clear bra paint protection on their currently and how does it work? Also how does the hood deflector work as well for you if you have it installed as well...
I guess the thing one must ask themselves before deciding on a clear bra film type protector or the OEM hood deflector is, do they just want to protect the hood or something to protect the hood AND help in deflecting those bugs intent on committing suicide on your windshield? As another TN member had said, the deflector doesn't stop all windshield splatters but does help by modifying the windflow somewhat. I assume that is why the back edge of the deflector is scooped upward slightly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Humm, this clearbra film is all new to me.. is one company better than the other in manufacturers?

I have heard of now the 3M and Ventureshield options...

got a price quote for the 3M product.
covers:

1) bumper
2) side mirrors
3) front fenders
4) part of hood

cost is $625 has 5 year guarantee as well.. Good bad or keep looking more... I live out here in LALA land los Angeles area...
$625 isn't too bad, I got mine done for $595 and that was because I had my BMW done a few months before that. Most quotes I got up here were around $800. I have a lifetime warranty on mine. After I did my research on both 3M and Ventureshield, I picked Ventureshield.

For me, I prefer the clear look and wanted protection from the sand and rocks during the winters here.

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
Bug deflector

Anyone know these clear "bonnet protector" are available anywhere in the states?

·
Registered
4 Posts
$625 isn't too bad, I got mine done for $595 and that was because I had my BMW done a few months before that. Most quotes I got up here were around $800. I have a lifetime warranty on mine. After I did my research on both 3M and Ventureshield, I picked Ventureshield.

For me, I prefer the clear look and wanted protection from the sand and rocks during the winters here.
I was quoted $570 for the Ventureshield. It's a chain store, so I will wait to see if they have any promotions.

Have any do-it-yourselfers tried the ones on eBay? Bumper kits are $35 shipped and are precut.

·
Toyota Traitor
15 RDX, 09 TACOMA
966 Posts
I have the Toyota OEM hood-protector, my HL is silver, so the smoke color doesn't look the best, but oh well. I did look for a clear one before purchasing this one but I couldn't find on on eBay so I settled for the smoke colored one. It's saved the front of my Highlander from a few chips so far, so I guess it's doing it's job. I noticed a few chips out of the hood and that made me decide on getting this hood-protector. The hood of my last Highlander was very chipped and it seemed like every time I waxed the chips would show up as little white marks and it drove me nuts!

61 - 79 of 79 Posts