Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC Sport
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my JL Stealthbox came in yesterday at my local audio shop near my house. They scheduled me for Saturday morning at 10am to get it installed - cool. I got there at 10am and waited an hour or so for my ride. They told me they were going to be done at 5pm. :wtf:...they told me it's hard to install or some bull like that.

It's 5:30 and this place hasn't called me so I call them. Then they tell me they are going to be at 7! WTF!!?? Ok whatever, no rush.

I get there at 7 and everything is complete. The guy tells me to sit in the car and listen to the subs and everything sounded fine. After I pay and leave I noticed the black compartment in the back of my bed.. :confused: I told the guy.."Aren't you guys suppose to cut the compartment to fit the box in perfectly..?" He responded by telling me some people prefer the stealthbox without the compartment. BULLSH*T!!! All they did was just unscrew the black compartment and take the whole thing out and just slide the stealthbox in there. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!

On top of everything.. they failed to connect my iPod cable to the deck. Oh! and the best part of all...
because the didn't install correctly.. there is a large dent on the left speaker outer metal covering. This dent was probably caused from the backseat pushing against the sub. If the compartment was there..this wouldve never happened.

Anyways, he told me he would schedule me in for Monday to fix and cut the compartment correctly. I was so f*cking pissed. I left and kicked a sub box out of my way. What should I do? Should I let these unproffesional noobs finish their job or drop another $100 for a better shop to take care of me. The only reason I went here is because I got a smokin deal on the stealthbox (long time customer).

Sorry for my grammar... I'm really mad...what do you guys think..??

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have alwasy done all my own audio setups. That way it gets done right I don't trust those people at car audio shops.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC LB
23 Posts
In my line of work I've had to keep the peace at local stereo shops too many times when they mess stuff up and then refuse to make it right. Most of the ones in the city I work in will give low ball prices then do crap work. I don't trust any of them to go anywhere near my vehicles. If I can't do it myself I'll pay a little more to have the work done at a major chain. At least then you have some recourse if they mess up.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Demand a refund from the noobs and then take it somewhere else or finish it yourself...

When ever I have work done on my truck or anything for that matter, I pay for it with my Discover card, that way if things are not completed to my satisfaction and the business refuses to make it right, I can dispute the payment with Discover. They are great to work with and it has always come out in my favor. You just have to make sure you have a legitimate reason for the dispute and Discover makes it right.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
I have alwasy done all my own audio setups. That way it gets done right I don't trust those people at car audio shops.
+1

·
Registered
455 Posts
What I would do in your position is not go back. You only put your truck at the risk of more of what they have already done. If they do bad work, no amount of taking it back is going to make them any better. At least that's what I've experienced in this type of situation. They will never care about your truck the way you do. Try and fix it yourself. If you feel like it's too much I bet you know somebody that's willing help you. Even if you screw up you will have learned a few things.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
I like OFFROAD's idea with Discover.... but regardless, I'd make them fix it. If they're a certified JL dealer like they damn well better be.... Threaten to call JL up on the issue. If JL gets any word of them doing shotty work, I'm sure they'll pull their dealer license. JL is really picky about who they distribute through.

If they aren't a certified JL dealer, then you're on your own. BBB? Managers?

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC Sport
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would do it myself in a heartbeat but I need to cut the storage compartment completely and I don't have the right tools for that kind of work.

If their policy is no return on labor then is there absolutely no way I get no refund on labor?

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
I would do it myself in a heartbeat but I need to cut the storage compartment completely and I don't have the right tools for that kind of work.

If their policy is no return on labor then is there absolutely no way I get no refund on labor?
Most places are the same. Labor cannot be "undone". I would talk to the manager if I were you since you have been a loyal customer there.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
TALK TO JL! Go above their heads, trust me, you'll get somewhere.

·
the noblest
324 Posts
If they're a certified JL dealer like they damn well better be.... Threaten to call JL up on the issue. If JL gets any word of them doing shotty work, I'm sure they'll pull their dealer license. JL is really picky about who they distribute through.

If they aren't a certified JL dealer, then you're on your own. BBB? Managers?
I think this is your best option, threaten to talk to JL, and they should change their attitudes

·
Lets Do It!
66 Posts
Most places are the same. Labor cannot be "undone". I would talk to the manager if I were you since you have been a loyal customer there.

Talk to the manager but be nice about it in regards to fitting in the box and compartment. Then mention the IPOD hook up, most places warranty their work just be friendly about it...offer to pay a little more if you have too, but say already paid and your thinking about installing some more stuff later with them...good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jl wont do anything! at this point, we know your unhappy- giving that, you<lots of other happy people.
Go back as mentioned above. Ask to talk to a manager, be nice as mentioned above.Bottom line is though, you didnt get what you paid for. What is the store called. IF manager plays hard ball, you can eat the loss, take it to a different store and write a nice msg in the local news paper. I hate shitty car audio installations and workmanship. Diy :)

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
How did you pay for the work? Credit card?

If they did not do the job right, their policies go out the window as far as a card company is concerned. If they did not do what you paid them for then they have no claim to the money and the credit card company will refuse to pay them. They have to make it right, I would tell them you want every penny back!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts