Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
tamalpro
91 mr2
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3s head 5s block

thats rigth, but im not sure if you HAVE TO use a 2 gen head in order to use the 5s block, cause the water passages, and why a thicker head gasket? dont i just need lower comp pistons? and good rods?
what other things do i need so the swap works? (change oil, water pumps on the block)?

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
774 Posts
your going to need to a oil line for the turbo...

your lowering compression cause the turbo is going to raise it... if you want to be able to play around w/ boost settings i strongly recommended a thicker stronger gasket.

you want to use a gen 3 head on a 5 block...?

i kno the gen 2 fits and lines up but not sure about a gen 3. if i was a betting man i would say it does too... toyota was very good about making interchangable parts in there older cars. you might need a stronger oil pump. but rods and pistons... have to be forged... turbo ring set.

theres other things too... you need a intake manifold, exhaust manifold... turbo... MAF sensor... you'll need the boost sensor for the intake... you'll need the prolly calibrate the knock sensor to 3sgte specs. ECU unless you can find someone to flash the MAF values into your ECU.

all together its realitively cheaper than the entire swap and has the potential for alot more

·
Rockin the STi
MR2 Turbo
1,557 Posts
tamalpro said:
thats rigth, but im not sure if you HAVE TO use a 2 gen head in order to use the 5s block, cause the water passages, and why a thicker head gasket? dont i just need lower comp pistons? and good rods?
what other things do i need so the swap works? (change oil, water pumps on the block)?

you can use a 3rd gen head as well.

Search on mr2oc. I've attached two links, but there are tons more

·
tamalpro
91 mr2
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im turbo

i should have said im 91 turbo, but i want to put a 5s block, just by puting head gasket, rods and pistons (87.5mm, with the valve clearence for the valves )on the block, and bolt every thing back, yup i know i have to do the oil and water lines on the block. But its that it?
Also, what, and how much would it be the diference to use a 5s or a 3s crank (machined to accept 3s rods). Why is it so popular to use the 3s crank if it has less stroke?

·
mr2oogleX
1991 MR2
306 Posts

·
Rockin the STi
MR2 Turbo
1,557 Posts

·
Young At Heart
1993 Mr2
463 Posts
hmm

what would be the benefit to doing this??? Do u then gain the bigger torque? Having the 2.2 block, and the 3s head? I know Chico Race Works sells a stroker motor, And even though it is waaaay more expensive... I imagine that the price would be worth it. But I am just curious to see what the real gains are for having the frankenstein setup. What are the numbers?

·
jdm 2nd gen ftw!
mr2 turbo
265 Posts
this way is not the way to get the most power out of a mr2 engine, if you want the best power you can get you stoke the 3sgte to a 2.2 wit the 5sfe crank with alot of work done to it, a 5sfe frankenstein will make decent power but be ready for alot of little things going wrong unless you plan to basically redo everything after all these cost i bet a 3sgte swap is cheaper but you are alot more unique :)

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
774 Posts
nepopolus said:
this way is not the way to get the most power out of a mr2 engine, if you want the best power you can get you stoke the 3sgte to a 2.2 wit the 5sfe crank with alot of work done to it, a 5sfe frankenstein will make decent power but be ready for alot of little things going wrong unless you plan to basically redo everything after all these cost i bet a 3sgte swap is cheaper but you are alot more unique :)

man there are hundreds of ways to make power w/ any engine.

w/ the right know how or the money to pay someone w/ the know how.

your statement is pure opinion.

i found the 3sgte swap not to be cheaper... frankenstien is cheaper... remote mounted turbo being even cheaper. depends on where you are and who you know...

best way to make power is make friends at a good machine shop

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.