Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
'09 iQ Diesel
iQ
792 Posts
Comparing family sedans for America by measuring skid pad speeds and degrees of body roll?
Granted, I skipped directly for the Camry-results, but it's pretty clear that this is another one of these magazines that favors driving dynamics above anything else. It would be funny to change the tires between the Camry and Accord to see if that would change the outcome as well (it is pretty much the tires you test on a skid pad).

I like how they hate the Camry interior because it is intuitive and easy to use (and funny comparison with cars from the '60s. Have they ever seen cars from that time?). These people will wet their pants once Alfa Romeo gets back to your shores. With "experimenting" placement of everything in the interior, gremlings and no plastic hubcaps (will fall off during shipment), this car maker is the exact opposite of Toyota.

BTW. Will you post it in this forum every time a Hyundai beats a Toyota, because then I have a lot of stuff for your "arsenal".

Hugo.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It's the usual... Accord wins... The magazines get "$" hidden in the glove box... Honda and BMW usually have the most "$" hidden in the glove box... so they win...

LOL....

But seriously... yeah, they go by driving dynamics since they are "enthusiasts..." Sure I'd buy the sportier car... However... $ talks..

08 Camry V6 LE
I saw one last weekend in the paper for like $19k +tax/lic.

08 Accord V6
$25k +tax/lic.

hmm.. I can do alot with $6k. =)

Same thing for those BMW comparisons...

BMW 335i sedan auto/Prem/sport
$46k MSRP

IS350 auto/prem/sport
$40k MSRP

G35 auto/prem/sport
$37k

Save $6k for getting a Lexus
Save $9k for getting a Infiniti

·
2000 Cadillac Seville STS
Cadillac Seville STS
451 Posts
It is a known fact that car and driver hates Toyota.
Agreed. When the '07 Camry first came out, they did a comparison test and it placed next to last out of 7 vehicles. They said it was too soft, well duh it's the LE. I bet both tests would have been much different if Toyota had given them a 4 cylinder SE. It would probably had been closer to the Honda, and most likely beat the Nissan.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Quoting Sulu on this, "Car&Driver aka Accord-Monthly".

And no one cares when a Hyundai beats a Toyota in a bias magazine comparo.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
I wouldn't call it wrong, but I also wouldn't take it as gold. It's an opinion. Leave it at that.

Car and Driver favours driving dynamics, response, sportiness, all that fun stuff. Practicality and dependability tend to take second priority. There are plenty of reasons for somebody to buy a Camry, and it sells so well for a reason. This C&D article highlights exactly why I personally wouldn't buy a Camry:

On the other hand, the Camry steadfastly declined to engage in any childish behavior, supplying the least skidpad grip, the slowest lane-change speed, the most body roll, and the least power—32 horses shy of what the Accord’s inline-four produces, for instance.
At day’s end, however, it came up long on practicality and short on exuberance. Sometimes the living room isn’t easily converted into the game room.

Altima's driving dynamics are a little more to my liking, I'd say :)

·
Radio, this is Unit 91...
1993 Camry LE AT
848 Posts
It is a known fact that car and driver hates Toyota.
Really? Where do you guys come up with this shiznit? You know the RAV4 beat all the small SUV's right? And the Honda got 2nd place...for the record.

Agreed. When the '07 Camry first came out, they did a comparison test and it placed next to last out of 7 vehicles. They said it was too soft, well duh it's the LE. I bet both tests would have been much different if Toyota had given them a 4 cylinder SE. It would probably had been closer to the Honda, and most likely beat the Nissan.
Generally C&D asks a manufacturer to provide a vehicle and asks that it fall in a certain price point. If Toyota wanted to, they could have given them an SE to test. In that same test, Ford specifically wanted to give C&D a black car, because Ford thought black looked the best on the Fusion.

Quoting Sulu on this, "Car&Driver aka Accord-Monthly".

And no one cares when a Hyundai beats a Toyota in a bias magazine comparo.
You guys are entitled to your opinions....for sure. And I respect that.

But some people need to take the Toyota goggles off when looking at cars. I find Car and Driver to be VERY unbiased. They always explain why they picked who they picked. I drive a lot of cars, and those guys are almost always spot on right.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
You guys are entitled to your opinions....for sure. And I respect that.

But some people need to take the Toyota goggles off when looking at cars. I find Car and Driver to be VERY unbiased. They always explain why they picked who they picked. I drive a lot of cars, and those guys are almost always spot on right.
Toyota goggles? Where can I get that? :lol:

Bottomline is, I couldn't care less, but then I'm not speaking for everyone. And to your comment about C&D being "VERY unbiased," I've yet to find one single automotive magazine out there that doesn't have some sort of bias. That's why I don't pay to buy or subscribe these magazines. The only quality car mags out there are mostly the UK publications IMHO.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I am becoming much too predictable, I guess, eh? Or should I take this as a compliment?
Wait wait, would it be too predictable if I were to compliment you? :D;);)

But my opinion still stands, that my opinion agrees with your opinion that "Accord-Monthly" is a very suitable alternative name for that magazine.

·
Cadillac Seville STS
451 Posts
Wait wait, would it be too predictable if I were to compliment you? :D;);)

But my opinion still stands, that my opinion agrees with your opinion that "Accord-Monthly" is a very suitable alternative name for that magazine.
Or you could call it BMW Lovefest. Seriously, has anything other than the BMW 3-Series or Honda Accord won a comparison test vs. the rest of the class?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Or you could call it BMW Lovefest. Seriously, has anything other than the BMW 3-Series or Honda Accord won a comparison test vs. the rest of the class?
:lol::thumbup:

Plus, as I've always said before, it'd be stupid for any automotive magazine nowadays to place a Toyota in 1st place in any comparo. Doing so would be asking for the lost of many subscribers (such as Motor Trend, Consumer Report, etc). I think all magazines should put Toyota products in dead last, in order to retain those subscribers.

·
Midship Captain
1991 MR2 Turbo
1,643 Posts
They are sedans, They are all equally boring and all pretty much mundane to drive. I could care less about body roll, 0-60 times, or any of that crap. Long as it reaches 80 mph and can stop quick thats all I care about in a Daily driver.

·
Cadillac Seville STS
451 Posts
I'm guilty as sin though: i've subscribed to C&D for the past 7 years. Other than some of the unfair comparos, I always enjoy the witty articles and humorous editors. As for Motor Trend, I unsubscribed from them last year. Same 'ol boring stuff, every single month.

·
Radio, this is Unit 91...
1993 Camry LE AT
848 Posts
Then why did the 2006 BMW 3 series win even though it had glitches and failed on them? Plus they managed to add the points incorrectly resulting in a tie for first place rather than a second place finish for the BMW.
2006? Sorry I recently moved, so I can't just go and find an article that's 2 years old. They don't "add" points.......the grade at the end wasn't a total of all points scored. Now they have since changed their rating system.....but what I am saying applies to what you're asking about. At least once, I distinctly remember BMW NOT winning a comparison test....and I want to say it was an Audi that unseated it. Also I remember back in 1996 the Toyota Camry winning a V6 sedan comparison (and the Honda Accord coming in 3rd). I remember that one specifically because I really wanted a Camry back then, but I couldn't afford one, (top speed was 140 mph!)

--Edit, I found the compro you are talking about online. Gee the Lexus IS350 came in second......maybe it would have won if the "sports sedan" had a manual transmission (sport) and a decent sized backseat (sedan). See even though the BMW had electrical issues, C&D said this about the 3 series, "slot-car steering response, implacable structural rigidity, sublime balance."

^^^ Ouch, :eek:wnedsmas
Hardly.....you guys are going to have to do better than that. So not to "flip-flop" (a term used in another thread here at TN), but I'd like to clarify my statement about C&D's lack of bias. They do have biases, they are human after all. But I have subscribed for 14 years, and read every single article. They even admit a certain bias, but if their "expectations" weren't met based on previous model's capabilities....they will tell the reader about it. They are a great magazine.

Perhaps you guys didn't catch this from my earlier post: The 2008 RAV4 WON A CAR & DRIVER COMPARISON TEST of 8 or so small SUV's. They simply find the best vehicle, in their opinions. If you don't like the things they like, then you won't agree with their opinion. This isn't rocket science.

--another Edit: I realized my "Toyota goggles" comment might have seemed like an insult to one/some of the posters in this thread. I just wanted to say, that wasn't my intention. It is more of a general feeling I get from TN as a whole, and not directed at any one person. As you guys can see I own a Toyota, and I love my Camry...but let's be real, I own a Nissan and Cadillac too.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
When reviews are done with driving dynamics, opinion does play a bigger factor since part of it is feel. One driver may actually like the Camry because its easy to drive while the other will think its numb and boring. This is probably why you should always do the test drive yourself before deciding. If I went by reviews alone I would go on thinking the then new 2006 Honda Civic was the sort of car for me, but then I drove it and personally thought it was very dull to drive.

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
2006? Sorry I recently moved, so I can't just go and find an article that's 2 years old. They don't "add" points.......the grade at the end wasn't a total of all points scored. Now they have since changed their rating system.....but what I am saying applies to what you're asking about. At least once, I distinctly remember BMW NOT winning a comparison test....and I want to say it was an Audi that unseated it. Also I remember back in 1996 the Toyota Camry winning a V6 sedan comparison (and the Honda Accord coming in 3rd). I remember that one specifically because I really wanted a Camry back then, but I couldn't afford one, (top speed was 140 mph!)

--Edit, I found the compro you are talking about online. Gee the Lexus IS350 came in second......maybe it would have won if the "sports sedan" had a manual transmission (sport) and a decent sized backseat (sedan). See even though the BMW had electrical issues, C&D said this about the 3 series, "slot-car steering response, implacable structural rigidity, sublime balance."
That doesn't change the fact the points weren't dished out properly. I don't argue that the 3 series is great (I've driven most of them - IS250 RWD, IS250 AWD, IS350, 325xi, 330xi). But if the IS were to have the same glitches, you gotta agree with me, C/D would be all over Lexus. (just like how everyone was over Toyota for recalls)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts