Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you've ever wondered what an ABS motor looks like inside, I took one apart to see for myself.

Here's a video on whats inside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKi5O3ZlSu4

The ABS system in your car uses wheel speed sensors to detect wheel rotation. A difference in wheel speeds indicates to the computer that the wheel is skidding. A a signal is then sent to the ABS motor, activating a solenoid temporary releasing brake pressure repeatedly within a short period of time, preventing wheel lockup.

To remove an ABS motor from your car, you need a 12mm wrench for the master cylinder brake lines, and a 10mm wrench for the 4 other brake lines going to the wheels. There's also a 10mm bolt and two wiring harnesses that need to be removed.

Here's what the motor looks like out of the car. (This one is off a V6 Solara with traction control from the junkyard).

Prying off the plastic cover reveals some basic electromechanical circuitry going to 12 solenoids.

Taking off the solenoids involved me breaking the positive connection to the motor in the center. Here's what it looks like when the solenoids are separated from the valves:

On the other side there's a DC motor that is responsible for building brake pressure. It takes a lot of amps to turn this thing, my computer power supply wasn't up to the task:

Wheel speed sensors are basically a magnet with a coil. As the splines of a CV shaft pass over the coil, it generates a change in voltage. You test it out by measuring voltage with a multimeter and passing a metallic object - even a screw - in front of the sensor and watch the voltage fluctuate.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Good video - you've done a great job cutting out the "boring" parts like actually screwing the screwdriver all the way, etc, hence adding professional feel to your video. Informative, too!

EDIT: Oh, and not "drooling" on the info is another great thing. Short, sweet, to the point.

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've updated the thread with the DIY video and pictures for ABS sensor replacement.

Good video - you've done a great job cutting out the "boring" parts like actually screwing the screwdriver all the way, etc, hence adding professional feel to your video. Informative, too!

EDIT: Oh, and not "drooling" on the info is another great thing. Short, sweet, to the point.
Thanks. Short and too the point is my style.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.