Toyota Nation Forum banner

how bad is replacing the clutch?

65K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Peter 
#1 ·
The clutch is slipping a bit on my 2000 corolla. Now I could get a kit and learn to do it myself for like 125-200. Or I could pay alot more (im guessing 6 or 700) and have someone else do it. Ive decided that I can live with the sliping and stuff as it can still get me from a-b without any real problem. However, if i can do it myself, Id spend the lesser amount of money on it. I have a haynes manual for it, but Ive never done anything like this, and neither has my dad.... anyone ever do a toyota clutch? How was it?

#2 ·
Not fun...highly recommend fixing a slipping clutch ASAP. Chances are you will have to get a new flywheel if its been slipping for a while. Pretty much entails removing the drivers side wheel, brake, strut, jacking and supporting the motor, removing the subframe, then the tranny itself. Finally , you could get to the clutch assembly for replacement.

#7 ·
My family's mechanic (my Corolla doesn't usually go there as I work on the car myself for most things) quoted $350 for the clutch job, including the clutch kit, installation, and flywheel machining.

My '93 is currently at 143,000 miles (230,000 km) on the original clutch (showing definite signs of wear)... the clutch has worn enough that it will chatter upon the first few takeoffs in the morning, and it no longer bites in drop-clutch takeoffs, just slips a bit. I'll be having it replaced sometime in the coming months. Definitely not a headache I want to take on... this is one of those few things that I don't have a problem paying someone else to do to my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.