Toyota Nation Forum banner

How can this discolored spot on the door panel

727 Views 22 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  LargeDuck
Open photo

This came from applying heat from a heat gun to fix some deep scratches and the heated spots changed color. This looks worse in person and I want to know what can be done from here. Is there a color match paint I can apply or anything? Replacing the whole pannel is a last option for me. Thanks.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,218 Posts
I’d try to find the closest paint color for the door panel.

May need to resort to this.https://www.duplicolor.com/product/vinyl-and-fabric-coating/

Reactions: carbuff2

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Check with your local dealers, they might have vendors that they work with on their used vehicles who can do repairs like that. Even some paint shops can do that, check with the ones close to delaerships; a lot of the plastic parts on the vehicles come in black and painted to match the vehicle interior colors!

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SEM:

Use an adhesion promoter and the right paint (for hard plastic or soft vinyl) and sheen and it will be perfect!!
"the right paint" I can't find a perfect match for the color of the door panel. the interior trim code is fb11 but from what im reading online that doesn't indicate the color for the door panel.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check with your local dealers, they might have vendors that they work with on their used vehicles who can do repairs like that. Even some paint shops can do that, check with the ones close to delaerships; a lot of the plastic parts on the vehicles come in black and painted to match the vehicle interior colors!
i called and they said toyota doesn't sell any and to call body shops. i called body shops but they say they don't make interior paint colors either.

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
i called and they said toyota doesn't sell any and to call body shops. i called body shops but they say they don't make interior paint colors either.
It is not a part that Toyota sells! Often times when dealers and used car lots bring in vehicles, there maybe scratches on the outside or inside of the vehicles. Instead of replacing the parts, like your door panels, some dealers' might have someone in their used car department to make the repairs, or sublet it out to paint shops to have the part repainted! Some detail shops will also have similar services; they can spray paint the areas without even removing the door panel!
Do an online search for auto detailing shop in your area, see if they provide that type of service!

This one for example:

Automotive Paint Scratch Repair | Paintless Dent Removal | Auto Trim Hawaii

· Registered
2007 Silver Corolla CE Auto
1,094 Posts
"the right paint" I can't find a perfect match for the color of the door panel. the interior trim code is fb11 but from what im reading online that doesn't indicate the color for the door panel.
You will have to find the SEM color chart (35 or 50 or somethings choices) and find the closest match. Plastics fade. Paint fades. Even if you found the exact color it won't be a perfect match. You can't spot paint it. You will have to find the closest color and paint the WHOLE piece........and no one will ever notice!!

· Registered
2,385 Posts
The thing is if you are going to paint one panel. Your probably ganna want to do the entire interior. That’s plastic fade rather paint. I would go to a junkyard to find a better one. Plenty to go around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I actually found a "perfect match" online at leathermatch.com. (TY6794 Dk Gray) is the color code in case anybody is interested. Apparently it's the same color as the seats. Only problem is that it costs $60 for the kit and my local junkyards cost $20 per door panel.

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
One think to keep in mind, when you go with the paint code, the color you receive matches the original color when new, does not necessarily account for fading! Might want to test it before using it!
At the same time, unless you spray it on, the touchup area would look patchy!
That is also why suggested paint shop, they can match the color to what you currently have!

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,218 Posts
So I actually found a "perfect match" online at leathermatch.com. (TY6794 Dk Gray) is the color code in case anybody is interested. Apparently it's the same color as the seats. Only problem is that it costs $60 for the kit and my local junkyards cost $20 per door panel.
Bets on the junkyard. As long as it’s not damaged.

If you can figure how to remove the cloth insert, then you can pop yours out and insert it.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That picture is very small and low res, I can not see what kind of damage it is. Have you tried any vinyl restoration products on it like car guys plastic restorer?
it is just discolored from heat gun use. i will give that a shot actually. i have actually seen youtubers using a heat gun to restore plastic parts (
) what do you think of that?

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One think to keep in mind, when you go with the paint code, the color you receive matches the original color when new, does not necessarily account for fading! Might want to test it before using it!
At the same time, unless you spray it on, the touchup area would look patchy!
That is also why suggested paint shop, they can match the color to what you currently have!
Bets on the junkyard. As long as it’s not damaged.

If you can figure how to remove the cloth insert, then you can pop yours out and insert it.
What do you guys think about the heat gun method I linked above?

· Registered
2,385 Posts
That method is trial and error. It’s not a principle in any way. Exterior plastics and interior are different. The condition of the plastic can contribute to the success as well. I don’t recommend that method at all unless you want to try. I’d just get a junkyard panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,218 Posts
I would suggest that you look in the junkyard and see if you can find a new used panel. It will reduce the headache of color matching. It’ll be cheaper than the paints.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts