Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, 2001 Camry / Black, I4 5s-FE

I wanna change the headlights on my camry to the Blacked out Halo ones. I was really inspired by the light beams that I've seen on then 05 Navigators and 05 infiniti QX56. It's really very white and beautiful. Thats the exact beam color I've been so earnestly looking for. I was doing some research on their bulbs and learned that they both use Factory OEM HID bulbs. Couldn't find the color temp though.

Anyway, I dunno much about HIDs and car lighting but I have always thought that HIDs must be used with projector housings with a condensor lens. I think the Navigators and QX56's use the D2R HID Bulbs becuase they have reflector housings and not projector ones, well.. I think.

Sooo, anyway my question is that can can I put in D2R HID bulbs in those Blacked out halo Headlights and get them to work without blinding people???

Pardon any incompetence in this post, but I would really like to have of that HID lighting like on the 05' Navigators and QX56's for my camry and I would value your wisdom on how I can go about achieveing this.

Cheers.:)

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
There are a couple of ways to achieve HID lighting:
1. Plug and play kits (ie. buy a hid kit and plug into your bulb clips, use their wiring harness for the headlights). This is blind oncoming drivers.
2. Using the same set up like over and using hid reflectors, Not many people use this technique as you would need to find a decent reflector base (please note IS300 and older Es300 used this reflector HID's).
3. Projector (the best): this would achieve the results you seek, but at a price!

·
Registered
2005 Camry SE
454 Posts
Believe it or not, most people hate the way projectors look. If you notice, most of the cars that still have reflector based HID are geared more towards the conservative end of the scale.

That is why they use reflectors. And the technology is not really too far behind.

And HID reflectors and halogen reflectors (like those blacked out halo whatevers) are VERY different animals. So no... please don't do a plug-and-play kit. D2R or D2S, if it goes in optics that are not designed for HID, they will suck equally.

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
Black Camry said:
Hello all, 2001 Camry / Black, I4 5s-FE
Sooo, anyway my question is that can can I put in D2R HID bulbs in those Blacked out halo Headlights and get them to work without blinding people???
NO. It takes hundreds of hours to properly design a reflector housing to accept D2R bulbs.

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
nodrogkam said:
Projectors look awesome on the road.

BTW...what are those bulbs on ebay called? Are those xenon?
"fake HID bulbs", "wannabe HID bulbs", "halogen bulbs", ... oh they're also called "waste of money". there's one thing that they're NOT, and that's "xenon bulbs". I don't care how much xenon gas they try to stuff into them (or not), but they're not xenon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I would love an actual HID retrofit like Dark Mastyr's . Here's a Gen 4.5 Cmary with it but I think it have more style.

Are there any good or at least DECENT quality bulbs out there that'll give a light beam like these...

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Black Camry said:
Well, I would love an actual HID retrofit like Dark Mastyr's . Here's a Gen 4.5 Cmary with it but I think it have more style.

That looks scary as heck! :eek:

It's almost as the car is staring at you......

·
Registered
2005 Camry SE
454 Posts
Black Camry said:
Are there any good or at least DECENT quality bulbs out there that'll give a light beam like these...
NO. You gotta read.

The optics is what creates the beam pattern... not the bulb. You have to have the proper reflector or projector first.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
its been what 2-3 years, we're still using DJ's pics. From what i've read, he's moved to a suburban (not longer a camry owner).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts