Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Prius does, and the Yaris I think too, but they're built in Japan. How come the Corolla, Avalon, and Camry don't? Overseas they do.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I think the lack of folding mirrors is based on the model. The gen3 Camry I used to drive was imported from Japan, but didn't have folding mirrors. I think the entire lineup of Camrys don't have folding mirrors, maybe because that particular market doesn't demand them.

I think they should put folding mirrors on ALL the lineup of cars.

Costs could be another issue? It's cheaper if the mirrors don't need to fold.

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
In other parts of the world, are cars like Camry's more upscale anyways (for example, Asia)? Some things are probably more creature comforts that have been standard for years in some parts of the world, while we still have areas in the States that A/C is optional :lol:

The smaller roads/tighter parking concept makes a lot of sense as well :thumbup:

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
EchoHoLiK said:
I think the lack of folding mirrors is based on the model. The gen3 Camry I used to drive was imported from Japan, but didn't have folding mirrors. I think the entire lineup of Camrys don't have folding mirrors, maybe because that particular market doesn't demand them.

I think they should put folding mirrors on ALL the lineup of cars.

Costs could be another issue? It's cheaper if the mirrors don't need to fold.
The Gen 5 Camry had folding mirrors in other countries.

It's based on the local (read country's) marketing team. If they think we don't need it, they tell Toyota that and Toyota doesn't include it.

Although isn't it more expensive to have 2 types of mirrors? I mean, yeah they have to make two different types of mirror glass but mirror housing too?

I'd love to have power folding mirrors. All the cars we had that had folding mirrors were manual folding.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
The Gen 5 Camry had folding mirrors in other countries.

It's based on the local (read country's) marketing team. If they think we don't need it, they tell Toyota that and Toyota doesn't include it.

Although isn't it more expensive to have 2 types of mirrors? I mean, yeah they have to make two different types of mirror glass but mirror housing too?

I'd love to have power folding mirrors. All the cars we had that had folding mirrors were manual folding.
Yeah, it's always the dumbass marketing department, always thinking they know what the consumer really wants :rolleyes:

I don't mind not having power folding mirrors, I'd just like folding mirrors (on the Camry and such). I have them on the Echo, although I rarely need to use them, it's nice to have in case I do need to use them.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remember the Gen 2 Camry? Before production started in Georgetown, they had folding mirrors. Then they replaced them. Why?

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,530 Posts
I wish they had lambo folding mirrors

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,414 Posts
I'm always afraid some dumb sap will break off my side mirrors because I can't fold them. The Gen 2 had them. My dad owned one and it could fold. Anyways, guess it's because of the location.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
it's to save $... why add a feature that's not needed.....my friend's LS430 has folding mirrors though.... my gen2 has manual folding mirrors...

·
Registered
735 Posts
atobe said:
it's to save $... why add a feature that's not needed.....my friend's LS430 has folding mirrors though.... my gen2 has manual folding mirrors...
I agree, I have a fullsize truck that has them and have yet to fold them in once. I can see the need for them on fullsize and midsize trucks, and maybe even on big full size cars and SUV's, but on the camry and corolla... seriously, what's the point? Are you people parking in 5' wide garages?

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, but it's good to have if you're garage is tight and the car next to it gets too close for comfort.

·
Registered
735 Posts
So how do you get out of the car then? I'm 5'8 and about 160 lbs and I need to open the door more than the width of a mirror to get out and most people aren't talented enough of drivers to get that extra 4" closer to a wall or another car :lol:

Again, I see it as pointless on small and midsize cars :D

·
H/O 455
1994 Chevy Lumina
976 Posts
There's no need for folding mirrors here, that's why they don't have them. It makes sense in places like Europe because the streets are so narrow. Walk down a Rome street with cars parked on both sides and the lane just wide enough for a car to pass through and you'll see why they have folding mirrors.

And if you're parking close enough in the garage that you're worried about the mirrors hitting, that's too close in my opinion. That's less than 2 feet apart...not enough room to get a door open and hardly enough to walk through.

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
why? cause not everyone has 5' wide spaces for you to get out :lol:.

There are places were even with my Prius, I'd like to fold the mirrors (no idea how our Camry would've fit in those places).

Hell, it works well when you're parking at the edge/corner spot. You park really close to the wall and fold the mirror, leaving yourself plenty of space btwn your car and the next. I have done that before and it works wonders. It helps that I have a semi-walkthrough btwn the front seats in the Prius. :p

·
Registered
502 Posts
EchoHoLiK said:
Yeah, it's always the dumbass marketing department, always thinking they know what the consumer really wants :rolleyes:.
Werd.

The Previa has folding mirrors; the Taco has mirrors that can be adjusted so they are against the door windows, but you have to adjust them again-they don't pop out like the Bean.

We definitely need folding mirrors in the US; street width don't mean crap. You still have parking lot managers who use a pack of cards as a template when painting in parking spot lines.

Also, some garages have narrow doors: My rather small garage has two small doors instead of one large one (stupid design, I know, but I didn't build the house). The Previa is a real tight squeeze without folding at least one mirror.

And yes, it is definitely cheaper to sell a non-folding mirror.

C

·
Registered
2001 Toyota Prius
371 Posts
I really think it's a good idea to have folding mirror and I do always fold my mirror when I park my prius in school. People in my school seems blind because I always see people hit the car's side mirror (maybe accidently) with their bags/backpack when they walk between cars.

If there is a choice I want a power fold mirror so I can fold the mirror with just one push instead of walking around my prius to manually fold the mirror.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Things are bigger in the US, like roads and parking spaces. We don't need them.
Nope I don’t think so.
I lived in the middle east for some time. In Saudi Arabia, the roads are way wider than the US. Still, thier cars specs should include a foldable mirror (power/manual)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts