Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Various Toyotas
4,602 Posts
Auto mechanics, especially at dealers, are very important people (at least in their own minds) and don't have time to always tighten or even replace the bolts or drain plugs on your stinking car. You should be happy that they even give it back to your after they perform "service" on it.
Hahaha, well......hopefully they're not all like that.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
541 Posts
To be fair, though, even doing work for myself, I've found a bolt I'd thought I'd torqued, loose a few days later.

Imagine what its like for a mechanic working against the clock (flat rate pay), and/or a mean boss trying to get them to hurry up, plus lunch breaks interrupting the logical flow and so on. Missing engine under covers is #1 on the hit parade (few notice them gone, saves time next time the car comes in, uninformed driver is none the wiser).

Add to our list: overtourqued wheel nuts by speedy mechanics with air ratchets. Its hard on the wheel studs, and if too tight can make it nearly impossible to remove the nuts with the dinky jack wrench when a flat hits at the side of the road.

My own remedy is to leave everything loose until the end, then go systematically through them all with a torque wrench, and if having to break it into steps over several days, a paint mark dot on the end of each one that's been torqued (and a little rubbing alcohol wipe to remove that dot if re-loosened). Fussy, sure, but for a major job can be a real time saver for things that will be buried later. Even so, I've still found a few times one I never torqued (when that happens I yell at the stupid mechanic - I work alone).

Norm

·
Various Toyotas
4,602 Posts
Happens even to the best.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
342 Posts
I've worked at a dealership. I've also owned over 100 cars and at least 75 motorcycles by myself.
Dealer mechanics are, believe it or not, far better than shadetree mechanics in every instance.
I've seen sooooo many bodged repairs done by (possibly) well-meaning shadetree mechanics, it would be pointless to count.
This is not to say that I've not made an error, nor is it to say that dealer mechanics are faultless. Your odds of a decent repair are better when you take it to a dealer.
One simple reason: While it is true that the rates may be higher, they do NOT make money on comebacks, and enough of those, and the mech is launched.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Did you buy this car used? Could have been from previous owner being a hack. I have a hard time trusting anyone to work on anything of mine. In 421,000 mi on my Camry nobody has touched it but me except for tires. Even then, I take my valve stem caps off because they wont give me the same 4 back. I get 4 random mismatched caps they grab out of their tub. If I has any kind of center cap it comes off too. Don't want them breaking it, getting it off.

I work on motorcycles and vehicles on the side for people and I'm always appalled at the hack stuff I see. Where a simple job has been violated. Bolts missing, washers missing, hardware in the wrong place, American bolts crammed into metric holes, stripped bolts, broken bolts, tabs broke, pry marks, and so on. Some guys think it's perfectly acceptable to hack stuff up and break stuff when working on it.... I could rant for hours!

Even a good mechanic will make a mistake every now and then, myself included. But there wont be 10 screw-ups/hacks/violations under the same hood from a good mechanic!

·
Various Toyotas
4,602 Posts
Even then, I take my valve stem caps off because they wont give me the same 4 back. I get 4 random mismatched caps they grab out of their tub. If I has any kind of center cap it comes off too. Don't want them breaking it, getting it off.
What?! Really? I understand about the center caps or wheel covers though. I've had one broken when they put it back on and another just flew off the car (must have not been installed all the way). But man, not getting the same valve stem caps put back on?

·
Registered
134 Posts
But man, not getting the same valve stem caps put back on?
Yes, I've had 4 matching chrome caps when I went in and at least one non-matching caps after. From then on I just take them all off and they give me 4 black plastic ones that may or may not match each other..haha.. I don't know if I'm just OCD or just demand perfection.... Both I'm sure! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own and run a shop and I can verify that 99% of the time if your mechanic runs on flat rate he will half ass something. That's why I don't work on flat rate, May not always be the cheapest but it alows for taking your time and doing things right. Flat rate hours are bullshit anyways any true mechanic will tell you the same. They take brand new cars right off the assembly line that have never been driven touched or molested with specific tools that most do not have even master techs at dealerships don't have all the correct tools all the time to do a job the way they time them for flat rate. Then on the other hand you can have a job that take 20 minutes that they will say pays 2 hours like doing the plugs on the 1mz they will charge you to pull the upper intake when it can be easily done without removal in 1/4 of the time. Its complete shit and if you want your car done right either find a mechanic that doesn't do flat rate they charge you what it takes or do it yourself. That's my 2 cents

21 - 28 of 28 Posts