Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know how to drain it from the pan and put in a new filter but how do i get the fluid out of the converter, transmission
guy told me a while back that when you drain the fluid from the pan it doesnt get the fluid out of the converter because
it has to be ruuning for the pump to pump it out

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here is the method suggested on the Auto-Rx website:

Measure the old fluid removed by transferring it into a milk bottle type container, install that amount of new ATF back into transmission. Disconnect BOTH ATF cooler lines at radiator and place a container or pan under each line end (helps to have an assistant). Start engine, shut down after 1 or 2 quarts have come out one of the lines. Refill exact amount of fresh fluid in transmission (this keeps air out of the system).

Start engine again and repeat until clean fluid is coming out of cooler line. This is messy and time consuming but will purge all old ATF from transmission and torque converter. Reinstall cooler lines and start car, cycle through gears, place in park and check level per owners manual. Check for leaks. Top up as necessary after driving and heated up. Don't overfill.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Dang, I thought I invented that method

It is very effective.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Getting ready to try this on one that has 256k on it, looks as if the lines just come together at the radiator, going to go get 5 or 10 quarts tomorrow. The one I have 91 auto king cab, will go in reverse with more throttle. I have read every post in here and definetly don't want to do a wash out, going to do pan drop filter change put back what came out and go from there. Only thing wondering about now if check engine light can affect trans in any way.....BiLL

·
SOME GUY
16 Posts
Here is the method suggested on the Auto-Rx website:

Measure the old fluid removed by transferring it into a milk bottle type container, install that amount of new ATF back into transmission. Disconnect BOTH ATF cooler lines at radiator and place a container or pan under each line end (helps to have an assistant). Start engine, shut down after 1 or 2 quarts have come out one of the lines. Refill exact amount of fresh fluid in transmission (this keeps air out of the system).

Start engine again and repeat until clean fluid is coming out of cooler line. This is messy and time consuming but will purge all old ATF from transmission and torque converter. Reinstall cooler lines and start car, cycle through gears, place in park and check level per owners manual. Check for leaks. Top up as necessary after driving and heated up. Don't overfill.
i agree thats the only way to take out the oil without hving to drop the transmission..

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Vet67, don't waste your time and money. With 256K, brown fluid, no forward and slipping reverse, your trans is shot. The money would be better spent on an overhaul or used trans.

·
Registered
91 4x4 extracab
608 Posts
Take it to a transmission shop. After servicing the transmission they run the fluid threw a filtering machine for about 30 minutes by way of the cooler lines. The $100 they charge is worth not having the mess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts