Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a noob question but how do I remove the stock shift knob on the automatic trans? I searched all over the place and couldn't find a definitive answer. You just unscrew it to the left correct? I already tried but didn't apply much pressure because I didn't want to break anything.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma
203 Posts
Just unscrew it and you should have no problem, what are you replacing it with.
/\ + 1

Just unscrew it, left loosy, righty tighty!

·
Go Sharks!!!
06 tacoma prerunner
1,350 Posts
yup just twist, at least you got the twist direction correct. When you first remove it, it's tight, because i believe the knobs have a plastic sleeve that the threads cut into when you first apply it, making it really tight to remove the first time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I ordered a grenade shift knob from eBay and I specifically told the guy I needed it to be M12x1.25 and he said he could do that for me. So I just got it in tonight....and the guy even had a piece of tape wrapped around it that said 12x1.25. But it is no where close to fitting! What an idiot. O well I'm goin with the cheap way and am going to put duck tape around the shifter so that the grenade will fit nice and tight lol.

·
Softball God
07 Tacoma V6 SR5 DC
2,096 Posts
Good to know. I just ordered a Hurst pistol grip tonight.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine was a bit loose from the factory. When I tightened it up, it was about a quarter turn off center to the right.:eek: Threads must have been cut weird or something. So I took it off and used a little locktite. Now it's centered and tight as well.

·
trail monger
05 Tacoma
19 Posts
post some pics of your aftermarket shift knobs!!

·
Registered
tacoma
486 Posts
just a idea but if loose
what about teflon tape ( pipe tape) on the threads
can be removed if needed but will hold tight and cost about 50 cents a spool

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might try that. You just get that from the hardware store correct?

I'll try and post some pics up but won't be able to until around 5:00 today

1 - 10 of 10 Posts