Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new cluster with tach today, but unless I want my mileage to read about 100,000 off I have to swap the old mileage in. I couldn't figure it out today, I tinkered around with it for awhile. How can I get it off? I can't get the needle unstuck and I just don't know what to do with it really.

Any gen 2 owners know how to do it? 88? +D

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
If I remember correctly, the guage itself is held onto the cluster by a few screws.

The screws are on the backside of the cluster.

You have to remove the clear plastic lense and the black plastic trim piece that goes around the guages.

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I mean the speedo itself, I can get teh cluster in and out

I can get all the trim off, I just can't figure out how to pop the damn speedo out of there

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
I think theres a few screws that holds the speedo in. Look on the backside of the cluster.

So you should be able to swap the entire speedo over. No need to mess around with the needles.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Got some pics. ;)

Backside of guage cluster and the 4 screws that hold the speedometer in
--------------------------------------------------

Speedometer removed
--------------------------

Wheres my speedometer?
---------------------------------------

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
nice find i was wondering about this myself of how i can keep my milage with a new cluster

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
i just got back from the junk yard... the speedo on the cluster w/o tach is mounted on differently than the one with the tach.. screws in the back are the same but the 2 holes are top and bottom on the speedo. the one on the one with the tach is lower left and upper right... and once i took the speedo out of the cluster it doesn't stop at 0 anymore so i didn't buy it. i guess you can't keep your milage like i and
epborden was planning to

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yea man I got it that same night. Just falls right out of there. Now I have a brand new guage cluster with tach. This new cluster owns, more sensitive and reads right.

Pretty easy thing to do. :)

Now if only I can rebuild my transmission...

EDIT: Atobe my mileage is reading fine. I just swapped over the mileage indicator from my old cluster. Then popped off the needle and placed the speedo gauge face (from cluster with tach) and replaced the needle. Then I dropped it in the new cluster and screwed it together. Works like a charm! And looks like a stock 5 speed cluster (which it is) but with my mileage :)

You know I really think something like this should be put in the faq. There is pretty much nothing in the FAQ about gen 2's.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
oh i got what you did you replaced the speedo and milage not the whole thing. i'll try that next time

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Hmm... So much for my idea of swapping the entire speedometer.

Well atleast you know theres screws on the back of the cluster now. :)

P.S. My gen 2 came with a factory tach, so I don't have to worry about swapping clusters. Suckas. :lol:

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
^ Haha.. Nice try.

You don't want my tranny anyways. Its automatic and has 170,000+ miles on it.

I don't know how much longer it'll last. In other words its a ticking time bomb. :lol:

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,643 Posts
Hmmm... I've swapped speedos and clusters multiple times without any problems... eh... whatever. Glad it worked out for you!

-Charlie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts