Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Yes, I did a search but didn't find a specific answer to my question so here goes. When I start braking my foot can feel a slight pulsating. As I brake harder it goes away. I s this the beginning signs that the rotors are going on me? I'm talking about the front disk brakes on my '98.

·
Registered
452 Posts
most likely. If you want to know, try going into a highway when no one is around. Go about 65mph and try apply moderate break to slow down. At higher speed, the condition should be more noticeable. Steering will vibrate. But it is a little dangerous though. That was how I found out my rotor were bad.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
sounds like it is the very beginning stages of it. If it is at high speed when you fell the slight vibration you should try getting it checked out sooner rather than later. IF you take care of it soon eneough you can have them turned instead of ahving to replace htem

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
In all honesty, your car will tell you when its time for doing something about it. At times, a low tire pressure in the front tires, a bad torqued (or missing) lugs can also give the illussion that you may have rotor problems. There is no definate timeline on when to replace them, I'm at 84K miles on my solara, and i know they have another 84K more miles on them (i plan to resurface them in the next-6K miles when i replace pads).

·
Dude wheres my Yaris ??
48 Posts
the most direct answer is usually the correct answer.

WARPED ROTORS.

on a side note, this could also be a tire pressure issue too, ive seen this a million times, make sure ure tire presseures are equal on both sides and up to snuff...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pete,
Thanks for that step by step procedure for diagnosing the problem.I'll jack the wheels up one by one and follow the procedure you outlined. I'm nervous about taking the wheels off cause I don't have a torque wrench for when I put them back on. Would I need a torque wrench? Also, I'll check the tire pressure. I hope it's just the tire pressure that's causing the pulsating.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
could be warping rotors.

I know on my camry my rear right one was warped....you can definately see a warped rotor due to discolorations at one or more locations due to some scorching.

If you've got over 100K on your car and your rotors have been machined/turned more than 2 or 3 times, just go get new rotors. Its worth the investment in the longh run. Your brake pads will last longer and not be glazed over easily as well.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Yeah rotors warp all the time, especially the fronts. Pulsing during braking is the giveaway, if it were some other problem it would do it all the time not just when braking. So 95% chance its rotors. Fortunately theyre not too hard to change on most cars and not so espensive anymore.
I wouldnt even bother turning them rotors because excess heat was probably what caused it and turning aggravates heat problems (less metal to absorb the heat). Get some cheapo chinese rotors and drive happy with no pulsing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Depending on your money situation, marc is probably right. If you want piece of mind for a cheap price, get the chinese rotors. But if you have the money get some Brembo rotors, and don't get them cross drilled or slotted.

I went from cheapo Motorcraft rotors on my Lincoln to Brembo and it made a world of difference. I also run some Cheapo Morse ceramic pads and I can stop quicker in the Lincoln than in the Toyota(And the L doesn't have ABS).

Also if you want better performance get a better set of calipers. I went from BL factory calipers on my Triumph to Wilwood 6-piston calipers on the front and boy is that thing fun now!

Good Luck,
GT6

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Since im strapped for cash a bit i'll do that for the rear but in fronts im gunna get something nice.

Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts