Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Thing things that the Torque App or any other Live Data device can give you is mostly only gonna be live data. They may come with some tools, like Torque's 0-60 time, fuel use, and other stuff, but most of it is gonna be up to you to learn. It's the higher end diagnostic tools or a Tech Stream that will allow you to do some Active Test's like... messing with EVAP or seeing if the tachometer works.

·
ToyotaRIMD
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for weighing in.

Reading data from the various charts/dials that are available on Torque... that's a huge book. Use Google to find out how to read various data -- for example, for reading fuel trims, there is HUGE body of information both in text and video.

What are the specific resource/book help you to learn more about it ?

Are there any forum discussions on OBD2, ELM327 kind for imported vehicles ?

Thanks for sharing.

·
13,467 Posts
The key here is knowing how to use the tool and what each reading tells you. You can gain experience from using the tools and also viewing the many various videos out there. One of the channels I watch is South Main Auto with Eric O. He uses various professional scan tools that costs thousands of dollars. The basic bluetooth dongle and app can only do so much without paying extra. Like any professional who knows their gear, yer gonna have to git comfortable with the tools you use. If yer using this to perform diagnostics on a used car to learn it's potential fer a purchase, yer gonna need to understand what the tool can tell you. Other tools like vacuum gauges, oscilloscopes, ammeters, and yer 5 senses can tell you a lot about a vehicle as long as yer understanding what they are telling you. It's not like you can buy a tool and expect it to make you an expert overnight unless yer really good at things like that. I'm just starting to understand the basics of what my BAFX Products bluetooth dongle and OBD Fusion app can tell me. Fer $30, it does okay since my vehicle isn't all that complicated when it comes to OBDII stuff. Fer me to understand what it can tell me with more modern vehicles will take more time than I have access to. I also use an Ultragauge daily to help me with basic diagnostics and monitor my gas mileage. Unless you have a lot of vehicles fer you to troubleshoot with, yer gonna find gitting that experience will be difficult. Good luck! ;)

·
13,467 Posts
If yer looking fer a more comprehensive OBDII tool to assist you in diagnostics, ATS eSCAN Elite might be the tool yer looking fer. At $1500, it might be above the price range yer looking to invest but there is no other OBDII tool out there that I've come across that will perform in this manner. It is a Windows based tool that requires a laptop/tablet in order fer it to work. ;)

·
Registered
900 Posts
ATS eSCAN Elite might be the tool yer looking fer.
How is this superior to, say, the Autel MK808 at 1/3 the cost? The eSCAN doesn't seem to have the MK808's bidrectional control capability, which is super-useful in diagnosing solenoid or amplifier-controlled circuits.

I will say, thanks for your post. I hadn't thought of this before. In my (expensive) neck of the woods, the Autel = 3-4 diagnostic stops at my favorite shop. eSCAN = 11 diagnoses or so.

·
13,467 Posts
How is this superior to, say, the Autel MK808 at 1/3 the cost? The eSCAN doesn't seem to have the MK808's bidrectional control capability, which is super-useful in diagnosing solenoid or amplifier-controlled circuits.

I will say, thanks for your post. I hadn't thought of this before. In my (expensive) neck of the woods, the Autel = 3-4 diagnostic stops at my favorite shop. eSCAN = 11 diagnoses or so.
I wouldn't say superior but more of a tool that provides unique capabilities. It wasn't designed with bidirectional controls as there are many tools out there that can do that as the technology advances forward. While you could perform most of the tasks of the eSCAN with a multitude of other tools, the eSCAN provides a wide field of view visual test as well as a few unique comparative tests like the ability to calculate volumetric efficiency which can point out areas to look for to explain the efficiency losses and the ability to display fuel trim charts at different engine speeds. As I don't own this tool or have any real world experiences with it, I bookmarked this tool when I came across the various YouTube videos of its demonstration. ;)

Example. ;)

·
13,467 Posts
Disclaimer...I am not affiliated, associated, or monetarily compensated with any of the ATS products. I do not own a shop or have any real world experience with any ATS tool as I can't afford it on my vehicle maintenance budget and their tools are considered shop level tools. ;)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts