Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out how to bypass the TPMS? I has the yellow light on for a couple years and wish I could get it to turn off!

Any suggestions other then remove the bulb or place tape over the light?

·
2011 Avalon Limited
1,134 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to bypass the TPMS? I has the yellow light on for a couple years and wish I could get it to turn off!

Any suggestions other then remove the bulb or place tape over the light?
It probably has a LED instead of a replaceable bulb. I would just repair the system instead of trying to disable it. I love my TPMS on both of my vehicles. Unless you are checking all of your tires several times a week you could be rolling on an underinflated tire and not know it until it's too late.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
PushnFords
Thanks for the reply, I would consider replacing the sensors more of a repair rather than a "bypass". Since I'll entertain the thought for now, any ideas on how to diagnose the problem, after I've tried the following.

Filled up all 5 tires to 32 psi.
Turned on the ignition, held the TPMS button (under the drivers side dash) till the light flashed three times then let it run it's cycle.

2011 Avalon Limited.
I honest don't have any use for the TPMS as it's been 90% pia. It's gotten to the point I try not to pay attention to it since it's been on 95% of the time I've owned the car for the last 7 years.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vangm
Are you saying the bypass never work? I choose the bypass method as I don't know how to diagnose, in other words, I don't know how to determine if the TPMS in the rim is commutating to the ecu.
Prkface
I guess you didn't read my original post?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Vangm
Are you saying the bypass never work?

Prkface
Oh I read it. I guess I should have added an LOL.

OK, being serious I'll echo what others have said. The car is in the age range where the internal batteries in the sensors are probably failing. You may only have one that is failed now, but the others will follow. One bad sensor is enough to switch the light on and it's just like an airbag system where one component failing turns the entire system off and the light on. Either live with the light or bite the bullet and replace all the sensors. The light in the cluster is getting it's signal from the ECM so it's not like the good old days of snipping a wire or pulling a fuse and the light goes out.

Reactions: My Dream

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
Vangm
Are you saying the bypass never work? I choose the bypass method as I don't know how to diagnose, in other words, I don't know how to determine if the TPMS in the rim is commutating to the ecu.
Prkface
The only way to find out is with either a Tech Stream or a similar device that can read information from the ECU. I have an OBDLINK LX and I can read my 08 Camry's TPMS sensors. Otherwise you will have to diagnose how to bypass the TPMS by looking at an electrical wiring diagram and determining where to connect the wires or finding another way. People have done it and I think they are idiots but I guess the next owner of their vehicle can deal with the wire work. TPMS ain't that scary to deal with and honestly their systems typically does not have issues. If they really were faulty, there would be a whole lot more threads about them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pkrface
In Canada, to replace all 5 sensors with quality Toyota oem sensors installed would cost approximately $725.00 including tax, installation and programing. I just can't justify that price when it's just not cost effective when I'd rather just eliminate the TPMS function.

Vangm25
Tha OBDLINK LX in Canada is about $175.00, but that only for diagnostics. It's still not cost effective to solve the problem.

cprcubed
I would budget $200.00 to solve this issue but the last shop I went to quoted me the $725.00 to solve this issue which is why I'm searching for the bypass method as it doesn't seem cost effective to spend that money, only to tell me if one of my tires is low on air pressure.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Pkrface
In Canada, to replace all 5 sensors with quality Toyota oem sensors installed would cost approximately $725.00 including tax, installation and programing. I just can't justify that price when it's just not cost effective when I'd rather just eliminate the TPMS function.

Vangm25
Tha OBDLINK LX in Canada is about $175.00, but that only for diagnostics. It's still not cost effective to solve the problem.

cprcubed
I would budget $200.00 to solve this issue but the last shop I went to quoted me the $725.00 to solve this issue which is why I'm searching for the bypass method as it doesn't seem cost effective to spend that money, only to tell me if one of my tires is low on air pressure.
Have you checked for a Toyota dealer that sells OEM sensors online for a discount? Tire stores, at least here, are obscene on there sensor pricing, but if you bring your own sensors it can save a bunch.

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
It may well be best to ignore the light then. There are other ones that MIGHT be able to read TPMS data but that is dependent on both the application you use and the scanner itself. Otherwise like I said earlier, then you will have to diagnose and find a way to turn of the light yourself.

It would also help if you list what year your vehicle is because there are different versions of TPMS.

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
Denso, change pricing to CAD ($48). You can buy the TPMS but either way you still gotta determine if it is being read by the ECU. One or all of the batteries is likely just dead but this is what diagnosis is. You are either a parts changer or you diagnosis the issue. You can either pay more now and worry less or you can pay more in the long run and worry more.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
FYI, the entire instrument cluster is LED and I am not sure to to even GET to them.
Can you show me where the LED is on the cluster face? I can tell you if you MIGHT be able to get in there with a Q-tip and some liquid electrical tape to cover it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vangm25
Thanks for the reply, the Denso TPMS from Rock Auto would cost approximately $68.00 CAD each including shipping, taxes etc. Including dismount tire, remove old sensor, install new sensor, reinstall tire, balance, install on car and reprogram sensor, the lowest price a shop would do it for is $105.00 per tire if I supply the sensor, I have 4 summers, 4 winters and a spare. The total cost would be close to $945.00. I can't justify that cost just to let me know one of my tires are low on air. Are there any other options?

AmanO
Thanks for the reply, the TPMS light is just below the fuel gauge. Removing the dash, does not seem light a pleasant option, unless you believe I can obtain the TPMS light socket from behind the dash?

In doing some research (Utube video's) on Camry, Corolla, Rav4 etc TPMS disable, it shows how to do this by either grounding out a wire within a harness behind the glove box. Has anyone had success with this procedure?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Get a wiring diagram, find where the warning light plugs in to the tpms computer, pull the pin put of the connector and tape if back to the harness. Easily reversible, and maybe easier than pulling the dash apart to get at the bulbs (I don't know for sure)

·
Official PITA
'05 Solara 'Vert & '07 ES350
1,289 Posts
Saw a post here (somewhere) on how to kill the TPMS light, But, why go to all that trouble? The TPMS light on my es350 has been on since I bought it in late 2018, black tape keeps it from being annoying, and after a few minutes, it shuts itself off. It is broke, but why fix it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
steve108
I'm not good with electrical, nor can I find a wiring diagram, therefore that's not an option.

Riick.
My TPMS does not shut itself off, it stays on as long as the car is running, (yellow light in dash) hence the annoyance.

Doesn't look like I'm not going to resolve this therefore, thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts