Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the lights next to the reverse light is out. how do i go about replacing it? i popped my trunk and i popped the cover and all i see is a spot for the reverse light. i see 2 bolt on type of screws. it seems if i unscrewed the cylinder type of screw. the outside part of the tail lights should come off. but im unsure and i'd rather not waste time. so thats why i've come to yall!

car is a 1998 LE

thanks in advance.

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
there shouldn't be any need for screwdrivers. there should be 3 wire sets on each side. the small one is marker lights, the bigger single filament is reverse and the only dual filament is brake/tail. just twist the bulb holder the only way it goes and carefully pull out. if you want pics just ask. my DC is around here somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im sorry, im not following you? can you please post pics and perhaps explain it in newbie terms? sorry, im just not following you at all. pics would be great. if you want, i can take a pic of what im looking at as well. lmk if ya need me to. but its basically the lights that is next to the reverse lights.

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
None of the bulbs are attached with screws. They're all twist out designs. The brake lights are a much bigger bulb than the reverse lights if that helps.

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
ok

heres what you see when the covers off

i am pointing to the brake light harness

if you look carefully i've turned the harness and am still pointing at it

that is your brake light bulb. yours will not be blue like mine. mine are blue cuz they are some cheapy parts store "super white" bulbs... they cost me $1.95 so i can't complain too much

any questions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im talking about the lights next to the reverse lights. the lights on the lid of the trunk, how does that bulb(in the picture) even light up the trunk lights when they seem completely seperate? sorry, im just a little confused perhaps. i appreciate all the help thus far.

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
there's only one bulb in teh trunk lid. and thats the reverse light.
that red section is a reflector not a brake light. it doesn't light up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh i see. next question, how do i remove the bulbs off the wire? do i just pull it out or is there some sort of trick to it? thanks in advance!

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
yep. just pull and replace.
word of caution be careful as those bulbs can get a wee stuck and that glass HURTS if it cuts you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey, i've been busy lately but i want to thank everyone that helped me. i dont want to seem ungrateful and never post back when i've got the answers i needed.

once again, thanks to all who posted here and helped me.

btw i installed the bulbs and hopefully they work(dont have someone else to push the brake pedal right now)

·
Gearhead
2,123 Posts
^^^ Just back the car next to a wall or garage door at night - hit the brakes - if you see lots of red light, you're good to go.

·
NoLa Rolla
'05 Corolla S 240K+ miles ('98 Corolla VE deceased in 2008)
710 Posts
^^^ Just back the car next to a wall or garage door at night - hit the brakes - if you see lots of red light, you're good to go.
I usually back up top a store at night that has a big plate glass window. It's pretty much like a mirror then.

Gil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts