Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that after you unsnap the three clips you have to loosen the clamp between the air cleaner box and the intake manifold and separate the air box top from the rubber tube before you can access the air filter. However there appears to be hinges on the back of the air filter box that gave the impression that after you unsnap the three clips you can open the lid.

I have not found any step by step instructions to tell me the correct steps to perform to access the air filter

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
Upsnap the clips, and lift up on the box, Simple as that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
toyota camry v6 air filter replacement

I wish it were as simple as unclipping the 3 clips and lifting the top of the box up.

I have been screwing with the box top for about 1 hr and the lid will not rise enough to enable you to insert the filter. There appears to be some sort of hinge in the rear (driver side) which I cannot reach and will not budge no matter how much you move it-side to side etc. I could get the old filter out but I could not even get that back in again.:headbang:

I really wish I could see the step by step removal via pictures

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
You need elbow grease. Don't be afraid. I've changed my airfilter a couple of times already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After I changed my air filter on my 2007 Avalon, I can see a small section of the white filter edge (left near outlet). Is this normal?

·
Say no to Cobalts
2007 Camry SE
53 Posts
If it's set up the way I recall, you have to push down and to the left (towards the passenger side). Where most filter housings pop out and up, you have to go down and under on the Camry if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 Avalon engine air filter housing

Actually, it can be really tricky to get the housing back in place properly so the filter is not exposed and the housing lid fits snugly. Yes, there are 3 clips on the sides of the lid and two hinges in back, but the hinge on the right must be finagled. You have to carefully lift the housing lid up slightly and back in order to get the little hinge posts (small square pegs) over the hinge guides mounted on the housing bottom so they slide into the guides. The left hinge has no pegs and simply slides into place. If the right hinge is not engaged properly, yes, you can force the lid shut and latch the clips, but the lid doesn't seat properly and your filter ends up being partially exposed. Not good!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts