Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ToyotaNation, I need some sound advice. I've been driving her for 3 years now and I have to say that while it's reliable, safe and economical to drive, it's also a bit boring.

I have a 2010 Corolla S with a 1.8L engine. I love the look of it, but it doesn't have anything that sets it apart from a routine sedan. I would love to make it more fun to drive while maintaining the stellar reliability that Toyota has.

Is this possible and what are some relatively simple modifications that I can do to it that will make it more fun to drive while not adversely affecting reliability or resale value?

Thanks.

·
Some kind of... TN Member
2010 Corolla S
192 Posts
Lowering Springs, Bars, Throttle Controller, and Intake(or the Intake Mod)
All of which are reversible

The only true performance mod is the Turbo Kit which is expensive and affects the reliability.

Reactions: MistaCorolla

·
not a 4x4
2010 Corolla S
895 Posts
Lowering Springs, Bars, Throttle Controller, and Intake(or the Intake Mod)
All of which are reversible

The only true performance mod is the Turbo Kit which is expensive and affects the reliability.
I can personally vouch for Eibach springs and both TRD bars. Great upgrade on handling. Springs are a subtle drop but put it right where it should've been from the factory. I haven't gotten a throttle controller as I haven't seen a need. My Takeda intake is basically for looks and sound, doesn't do anything for performance really. Same with the Borla exhaust. I'd put money down in this order:

1) TRD rear sway bar
2) TRD or Eibach springs
3) TRD front strut tower bar
4) exhaust, if you want it
5) horns so you're not such a sissy :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are there underdrive pulleys for the 10th gen? If so, would they make any difference?

·
Mr. Roo
Lexus IS300
11,576 Posts
You're not going to make much (if any) additional power out of that engine, it simply wasn't designed for it. Plus, that will just get you in trouble. The car is fast enough really!

So, I like to change the suspension instead. Put on coilovers and slam it. Looks good, plus makes the corners fun! Also, put on a muffler so you can hear what the engine is doing.

·
Registered
2010 Corolla S
99 Posts
You're not going to make much (if any) additional power out of that engine, it simply wasn't designed for it. Plus, that will just get you in trouble. The car is fast enough really!

So, I like to change the suspension instead. Put on coilovers and slam it. Looks good, plus makes the corners fun! Also, put on a muffler so you can hear what the engine is doing.
Could not of said it any better.

1) coilovers
2) wheels
3) muffler
4) your car is looking sexy

·
Registered
2010 Corolla S
99 Posts
Precisely! This is basically the formula I have learned will make almost ANY car look good and fun to drive.
There is something special about taking a car that has such an ugly stance from the factory and sitting down low like a salamander. IMO it gets even more attention then say, lowering a 335i which is already super low from the factory. Our corollas seriously get transformed with a little thought and money.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Post #4 has it right, so get out your handy-dandy maps app on your phone and find your closest

Take your Corolla there. Drive home with something else, you'll feel much better.

You can add bars and bling, but that's about it, you won't be going any faster. But be warned, when it looks cool the other small cars want to race you, and when you lose you look bad. I really don't know why Toyota puts an 'S' on a Corolla, it's no different than the others.

If you want to keep Corolla then upgrade the stereo to 75rms x 4 with maybe a 10" in the trunk, but clarity over volume is the key. Your car is meant to go from point A to B and back, so if you want a meaningful upgrade w/o wasting your $$ then buy another car. If you had 2AZFE you could have gone with some Crower cams (and a slight polish on the ports with 5angle valve job with the cams could yield +30hp). So maybe shop for a 2AZFE Matrix or XRS, or maybe get a Scion. A Sneaky-Pete NoS may be something to try.

·
Naturally Aspirated
38 Posts

You can get a speeding ticket in most cars, so theoretically a Prius is fast enough for anyone. :facepalm:

·
Registered
2020 Camry TRD
1,036 Posts
the addition of the throttle controller with the Intake mod on my Corolla helped make it more fun to drive.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I went with Springs, TRD Front Strut and rear Sway, and Dunlop Z1 tires.. An absolute awesome combo. But if I had the chance to I would've went to Coils.

Just with that simple setup alone, I took first place in our novice AutoX and won a set of R-comp tires.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,826 Posts
My 09 S is a blast to drive. Improving the suspension is a must & results in fantastic results. This is what I have on my car for suspension & I wouldn't change a thing.

1. Eibach Springs
2. 17" wheels with 225/45R17 tires
3. TRD Rear Sway Bar
4. TRD Front Strut Brace
5. Ultra Racing (UR) Raer Upper Strut Brace
6. UR 19mm Rear Sway Bar
7. UR Front Lower 3-point Chassis Brace
8. UR Rear Lower 2-point Chassis Brace

I love the combination of my others mods too. I know that my exhaust, intake & throttle controller made a nice improvement on the driving fun side of things. If nothing else it feels a little quicker but sounds great which also is nice.

1. Borla Exhaust
2. Takeda SRI
3. Pivot Throttle Controller

Start modding & you will soon realize how much more fun your Corolla can be to drive!

·
Registered
2012 Corolla S
167 Posts
Honestly I'm going to have to side with the guys that say buy a new car. I used to disagree with them, until I bought a roadster as a weekend/fun car to work on. Rear wheel drive + 5spd + convertible in a car that weighs about 60% as much as the Corolla really makes my daily commute in the Corolla pretty boring.

Yes, you could spend a bunch of money to make your Corolla a little more fun to drive. But in the long run, you could take all the money you spend on all of that, and buy another used car that will be light years more fun. You can buy a 240sx, rx7 fc, miata, and a few other cars for <$2,000, and I guarantee every one of them will put a larger smile on your face. Plus you'll have a lot more aftermarket support with cars that take bolt ons and modifications extremely well to push a lot of power.

·
Mr. Roo
Lexus IS300
11,576 Posts
Yeah, that's the thing. You CAN make a Corolla fun to drive, but honestly, it wasn't designed to be fun. You can spend loads of money, and sure it will be more fun, but it will still be a Corolla. Might as well get a car that is meant to be fun in the first place. But of course, you've already got the Corolla, so might as well make the best of it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
What is your definition of fun to drive?

For me, fun to drive translates to comfortable. For me it meant upgrading my speakers and all that. It didn't make it drive any better, but it atleast made me enjoy the time I spent in my car driving to work everyday

1 - 20 of 37 Posts