Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Major Toyota Fan
74 Posts
Yeah, you're right

In order to remove the cylinder the key must be turned to the ACC position. If its seized in another position (mine was in off), the only way to remove the cylinder is to forcefully rotate it or drill it out.

But, yes, under normal circumstances swapping out the cylinder is a breeze.
Sorry, misread that part of your post. For some reason, it read like you couldn't reach the little access key underneath. Based on what my locksmith said, it was probably those dratted split-wafers that caused your problem. Glad you got it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1997 Toyota Camry Key Wont turn, Ignition Lock problem -1997 toyota camry FIXED!!! I see a lot of Douches with a capital D trying to charge people to fix this extremely common issue with this Camry ignition cylinder. OK pull the plastic guard off encasing the steering column. Get a phillips head screwdriver and remove the 2 screws holding the little off-white connector at the rear of the module(it has the wires to the ignition running to it). Get a pair of pliers or a small crescent wrench and while trying to turn the key use the wrench to turn the little rod sticking out of the back of the module. Make sure your turning it WITH the direction the key is trying to turn it. It should immediate be freed. Wala IT WORKS! AND THATS WHY PEOPLE DONT TRUST MECHANICS! HOW CAN YOU CHARGE SOMEONE FOR THAT INFO?
This hint was enough to break loose a locked steering wheel and permit normal use of the gear shift, this on a 2000 Toyota Sienna. The lock cylinder remains stuck, and I start the car with a small screw driver turning the plastic switch taken off the back of the full ignition lock assembly. Earlier, I had successfully removed the lock cylinder, removed the split tumblers, replaced and ran with it for three days, at which time, it resisted, and I somehow managed to turn the steering wheel into a fully locked position making the car inoperable even after I could start the engine.

Thank you very much for this post; you've have saved us a ton of trouble. By the way, the next drive we take is to the Toyota dealership in Coos Bay, where a new Sienna is ours in about two weeks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same problem with my 97 Camry. Managed to get it to ACC and take the cylinder out and get it repaired at a locksmith.

I have been starting the car with needle nose plyers while I waited for the fix. Now, I can't get it to go back in. I turn the switch and the key to the ACC position, and it slides almost all the way down, but it is a few mm away from clicking in the notch. Without the spring being depressed, I can't turn the key out of ACC.

Any tricks? I must be missing something. What is the purpose of the gold rod running along the top?
I had the same problem with my 97, It felt like like I was driving around in a stolen car with the long needle nose pliers sticking out of the ignition. The locksmith said it was a common problem, the tumblers where worn out. It might've cost $25.00 or so

·
Registered
373 Posts
My ignition cylinder seized out of of the blue one day in a parking lot. 100% seized and couldn't turn at all with no warning signs at all.

Luckily found a cheap locksmith to come out and rip it out without damaging the steering column and start the car.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen, but I guess one of the wafers suddenly sheared and completely jammed the locking mechanism. Pro locksmith spent almost an hour trying to extract it.
Do you remember the name of the locksmith that came to you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I know this is an older thread...
But just replaced the ignition switch in my '98 everything works as should...
But now my power locks and remote for previous do not work!?!
If the door is closed, the power locks work.
However if the door is open, after you push to lock.
The locks spring back open.
To fix for the moment I took out the fuse and just deal with "manual" locks.
Any ideas?

·
Toyota Collector
11,813 Posts
The "pin" switch that senses if the key is in the lock is either stuck or broken. Or maybe not fastened down properly either way check that out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will look into it thanks for the heads up, but normally as I said it works in car (key in or out).
If I have door open atop exit and hit lock, that is when it triggers and reopens.
Just using manual as I said, but a pain with the kids and groceries at times.
Miss my remote, lol.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
21 Participants
BrandonNicole
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing