Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My serpentine belt broke on my 90 22re and I have no idea how to get to it (tight space) or how to route it. I bought all three belts and figure as long as I'm in there I'll replace them all. Is there a routing diagram? Hints to access?
Tension springs?
thanks in advance,
biasdr in alaska

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
still need diagram

Thanks for the reply. I have the Haynes, but can't find a diagram. I'm hoping to avoid paying $20 for another manual to find the answer.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
The only thing close to a "serpentine belt" on the 3.0 is the Timing Belt...is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
107 Posts
If there is no AC then there should only be 2 belts max, 1 for the water pump, alternator, and fan; and one for the power steering, if equipped. If it has power steering there is a tensioner near the distributor, loosen the bolt in the middle a hair and then loosen the bolt on the side to loosen the pulley. To replace the other one loosen the alternator bolt and swing it towards the motor, work the belt on around the fan and align with the water pump, alternator, and crank pulleys, tension the belt by pulling the alternator away from the motor and tightening it up. Then put the PS belt on the crank pulley, PS pump, and tensioner, tighten it up with the tensioner and re-tighten the bolt in the middle of the tensioner pulley. It looks cramped but can all be done pretty easy without removing anything at all, I could do all 3 belts (including AC) in about 10-15 minutes in an Auto Zone parking lot with 2 wrenches and a ratchet.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
on a side note, if you can't handle the tight space, optionally you can drain your radiator and remove it. metric tool kit and several other things and it can easily be done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The term serpentine is used because the described belt snakes around muliple pulleys. The accesory belts on our trucks are individually run to the alternator etc. I had to pull my fan shroud and clutch to be able to complete this job. I'm not sure if there are better ninjas out there than I am but I didn't really think it possible otherwise.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
FYI: A serpentine belt reverses direction of travel (i.e., both top & bottom are used to drive pulleys). Otherwise, it's simply a "belt"...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts