Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't buy the RAV for this but I have occasion to drive over a curb and across a field, and occasionally in more adventurous [muddy, deep rut] terrain. So, I'm wondering whether this vehicle is intended to go off-road and, if so, how much trouble it can handle.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What model is your RAV? If it is Gen.4 (2013+), than it has ZERO off-road capability, or about a much as a Camry. With 6 inches of ground clearance and tons of plastic parts under the belly, you are exposing yourself to pretty expensive repairs if you attempt to take your RAV off-road.

About every other small CUV (Forester, CX-5, Escape) have 8 inches or more ground clearance. Go figure what were Toyota engineers thinking when they designed the RAV. BTW, Toyota claims 6.3 inches ground clearance, but the actual MEASURED ground clearance by Consumer Reports (and verified by me) is closer to 5.8 incheas due to low-hanging exhaust.

Here is a good example of what happens if you attempt to take your RAV off-road
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126-4-4-mechanical/156882-2014-dealership-cel-po441.html#post1535346

·
Registered
'08 RAV4 Limited
532 Posts
The picture above CLEARLY states which model the OP has but the fact is that it is not an off road vehicle. Dirt road? Sure providing there is enough clearance, more than that? No Way, all wheel drive or not. It's a CROSSOVER, not an SUV with serious four wheel drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts