Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a pretty ghetto setup in my truck with a 10" JL sub in a ported box strapped into the baby seat anchors. Sounds great but looks a bit daft and takes up a full seat.

I am thinking about getting the Tacotunes box but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality. I know this is a theroetical question, and that the answer is probably influenced to a large extent by individual taste. However, am I likely to get as good a sound with the Tacotunes setup as I have with the big box I have now. I realize that the Tacotunes box is not ported, and that will make a difference too.... And I expect that I will need to buy a new sub to fit the Tacotunes box.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
i think tacotunes makes an enclosure for 10" subs, so you can reuse the one you have, probably. for best sound, you'll want a sub that's mated to an enclosure with the proper air volume. using a sealed enclosure, subs actually require less volume than for ported enclosures. if the taco tunes enclosure is a little too small volume wise for the JL, you can add some pillow stuffing to the enclosure. i don't know the physics behind it, but it makes the sub perform as if the enclosure was bigger.

i don't know how big the enclosure you're using now is, but from how you describe it, it sounds like the enclosure is way to big for the sub. proper air volume for the sub is essential for optimal sound

1 - 2 of 2 Posts